Friday, 24 December 2010
"I am eating mani (peanut)," Cj stressed when I asked him what was he doing. He swayed his glossy hair muttering quietly 'Mommy, Mommy...' before he went out of the bedroom to play with cousins. My mother then took over the keyboard. Blimey! my 69-year old mother finally chatting with me online? Do I really get a rest now from expensive overseas calls? I hope Cj's computer gets a rest too from the dust or cobweb.
Technology does a perfect job of bringing us closer to loved ones. I appreciate it more than ever.
And that's my perfect Christmas!
Tuesday, 21 December 2010
December is when Thailand almost does not look like a Buddhist country especially in commercial areas. You just have to go out and see how business works with a Christian tradition.
This is a tree inside Central Mall, Bangna
Sky rail tracks on the right and Siam Paragon on the left. Christmas arches in the middle are abuzz with picture-taking.
Inside Siam Paragon. That star rubs shoulders with Emporio Armani.
All ready for the Countdown. Merry Christmas from Bangkok!
Monday, 20 December 2010
Scroll down for Monday Mayhem
Right. Good-looking. Talented. Cute. And I'm supposed to believe life is fair? *Kidding* Take note of the final score - powerful thoracic diaphragms belting on. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Ernie Haase & Signature Sound.
Amanda @ Bloggin with Amanda hosts Musical Monday
Denise @ Run DMT hosts Music Monday Blog Hop
Monday Mayhem: The Return of Lola's Holiday Meme
1. What is your favorite holiday show/animated show? I know there are so many out there, but my life is riddled with work right now. It also is no help that this country I am in does not recognize Christmas except for commercial purposes.
2. What holiday character do you think you're most like? -pass-
3. What holiday character does your spouse think you're most like? Spouseless me. Even if I had any most probably he'd be too frozen to think of this stuff this time
4. Favorite Christmas/holiday song? 'Although it's been said many times, many ways Merry Christmas to you!'
5. Most hated Christmas/holiday song? I may not like some but I don't hate any
6. If you have an all holiday music radio station when do you start listening to it? As soon as the music is available in the airwaves
7. If you have an all holiday music radio station do you love it or hate it? I would love to love it
8. Have you ever wrapped yourself as a Christmas/holiday present? Come on...you can tell!Nice idea... but DHL will probably not ship me
9. Who is Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer's father? No idea
10. Do you drive your neighborhood or one near you at night to look at other people's holiday decorations? If I had time I would do it
11. When you see a heavily decorated house do you think, 'oh that's lovely'? Or do you think, 'oh criminy, that looks like Christmas threw up all over their lawn'? I prefer the first reaction.
12. Are you counting the days to Christmas/Holidays with excited anticipation or dread? Anticipation if there were plans. I make no room for dread.
13. When was the last time you had your photo taken with Santa? Did you sit on his lap? I may try this kind of photo shoot one of these Christmases.
14. Do you make a Christmas/Holiday list for your spouse or significant other or do you rely on them to pick your gift(s) without a clue from you? I used to drop hints... until I gave up.
15. When do you put up your tree and/or menorah/and or anything else? Four Decembers ago I put up one and once about two weeks before Christmas. That tree was packaged to me from the other side of the world.
16. If tree- Real or fake? Real
17. When do you take your tree/decorations down? At home the week after New Year's day
18. Do you shop the day after Christmas sales? What do you shop for? After Christmas I am usually too lazy to shop
19. Is your work/office having a holiday party this year? Will you attend? Yes and no
20. Do you have your New Year's Eve Plans set yet? Not yet but the plan is taking shape
Saturday, 18 December 2010
Scroll down for Weekend Funnies
2. What is your idea of a perfect romantic evening? Lots of good conversation and proper hugs
3. What strategy would you implement to deal with drug abuse in today's world? Legalize use. Abusers can destroy themselves for all I care.
4. What thing about your family are you least proud of? Wanton disregard for a law or two. If there are recent issues I am usually the last person to know.
5. What part of the holidays are you really looking forward to? A quorum of great company
6. Who is the last person you high-fived? Why? My long-haired son, when we landed at Ninoy Aquino International Airport. The immigration officer mistook him for a girl and forgot to fuss that one of his passports was expired. We made it home.
7. Have you ever made out at a drive-in?
No, and I don't think I will ever be in the mood for it.
8. If you had only enough energy left in you for one last smile, who would you give it to? CJ, I hope he is accessible enough by then
9. Tell us about that time when you were the “life of the party”. I exert minimal mobility and suffer in silence while the rest are having a blast. I am Mom and Auntie Hazel to these darling party rascals. I foot the bill.
Crazy Sam hosts Saturday 9
Tuesday, 7 December 2010
Biting red and dry, these quiet chilis are practically harmless... until they are stir frying in the wok. What could be next...
Ingredients beyond what makes up ketchup or mustard are on display too.
It is early Sunday market in Saraburi. This tent finally sets me in the mood for commerce.
Monday, 6 December 2010
Scroll down for Monday Mayhem
It was Josh Groban I saw on similar Rockefeller Center events kicking off the Christmas season. It's great to see a fellow pinay taking the stage this year. And for the first time I really listened to Jingle Bell Rock. Maybe I need a lively beat to survive another Christmas alone. Not that going absolutely solo is new to me... lol .... Alright. Enough emote. Let's rock...
Denise @ Run DMT hosts Music Monday Blog Hop
Monday Mayhem: The Holiday Reader Poll
Today our meme is based upon several reader's poll's including the current issue of InStyle Magazine.
2. What's your best excuse for not attending a holiday function? 'Unable'
3. Have you ever had 'a little too much' of anything in front of your boss at a holiday celebration or done anything else that may come back at you to haunt you in the future? Just one and once, the boss asked me to sing impromptu. Knowing I could not sing and hoping he was drunk, I laughed it away.
4. How many cards do you send via 'snail mail' (regular mail)? none anymore
5. How many cards do you send via email? None. I greet family and friends via phone
6. What is your exercise routine during the holiday season? I hand wash clothes, move heavy furniture to dust them shiny and ready for the next party
7. What is your least favorite thing about the holiday season? When it's time to get back to reality
8. Tell us what is your regifting policy? Only if the receiver would appreciate the gift
9. Ever been the recipient of a re-gift? Not that I know of
10. What is your basic 'fat outfit' to wear after you have been sampling too much of the holiday festivities? Some thin, loose fabric. Always gives off the illusion I want to project
Sunday, 5 December 2010
Scroll down for Our Weekend Memoirs
Today we ripped this meme off not from a blogger but from a website that does (among other things) celebrity interviews. On Friday they asked 20 questions to recording artist Dwight Twilley. The site is called Pop Matters and you can read the original interview here. We enjoyed the questions so much that we decided to steal them! We only did very slight editing to make a couple of the questions more universal. We hope you enjoy latest our and greatest! Link back to us at Sunday Stealing!
1. The latest book or movie that made you cry? Miss Potter
2. The fictional character most like you? Tinker Bell. Or so my Ugly Duckling cousin believes
3. The greatest album, ever? My Single Life Album
4. Star Trek or Star Wars? Why? I don't know either of them
5. Your ideal brain food? Cashew nuts and raisins
6. Everyone is proud of a certain accomplishment, which one for you?? I'll leave this blank until the son I am raising single-handedly becomes self-sufficient, happy and successful
7. You want to be remembered for ...? Being a friend who keeps secrets safe
8. Let's talk about recording artists. Who do you find the most inspirational? Can't think of who really, but there are many whats, inspirational, their works are
9. The creative masterpiece you wish bore your signature? Da Vinci Code
10. Your hidden talents . . .? Inner strength against the bull**** of life
11. The best piece of advice you actually followed? Longfellow's 'behind the clouds the sun is shining'
12. The best thing you ever bought, stole, or borrowed? Lappy duh
13. What is the most comfortable clothes that you wear? Nightdress
14. Your dinner guest at the Ritz would be? My hero, and he/she hasn't come along yet
15. Time travel: where, when and why? Prince Edward Island, late 19th century. Anne Shirley of Green Gables must be fun to interact with
16. Stress management: hit man, spa vacation or Prozac? Sightseeing
17. Essential to life: coffee, vodka, cigarettes, chocolate, or . . .? Late night thrills
18. Environment of choice: city or country, and where on the map? Country in the tropics
19. What do you want to say to the leader of your country? We heard the talk. Now bring on the action.
20. Last but certainly not least, what are you working on, now? Getting into the hang of something I have difficulty getting started on
Bud Weiser hosts Sunday Stealing
Then we dropped by a private university where a faculty member (a cousin) read untraceable wherever she was. The campus is huge. We reckoned taking a turn around was best after deciding not to bother with details.
Our final stop was Farm Chockchai.
It was probably the first time for most of us to taste the farm's signature milk ice cream. Yummy yes and it did its job hydrating thirsty palates well.
God I so didn't want to return to Bangkok.
Ebie and Arlene host Our Weekend Memoirs.
Saturday, 4 December 2010
Scroll down for Saturday 9
This is a passage from Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, p. 299-300. I don't know what got into me but this part cracked me up --
The homeless man on the bench in front of the Library of Congress rubbed his eyes and watched the strange scene unfolding before him. A white Volvo had just jumped the curb, lurched across the deserted pedestrian walkway, and screeched to a halt at the foot of the Library's main entrance. An attractive, dark-haired woman had leaped out, anxiously surveying the area, and spotting the homeless man had shouted, 'Do you have a phone?'
Lady, I don't have a shoe.
Apparently realizing as much, the woman dashed up the staircase toward the library's main doors. Arriving at the top of the stairs, she grabbed the handle and tried to open each of the three giant doors.
The library's closed, lady.
But the woman didn't seem to care. She seized one of the heavy, ring-shaped handles, heaved it backward, and let it fall with a loud crash against the door. Then she did it again, again and again.
Wow, the homeless man thought, she must really need a book.
1. Do you have any habits or rituals at this time of year? Yes, I order myself to forget the issues of life the entire season and just be happy
2. Polar bears seem to do well in the snow... How about you? Is snow just another thing you deal with when it shows up, or is it shutdown time? ...and if you're posting from a non-snowy locale, do you make trips to actually see snow? It's okay to admit it...It was a thrill to see snow for the first time, but my southeast asian blood warned, 'you go out there, I'll curdle.'
3. Tell about a toy you remember from your childhood. Barbie dolls sent in from Australia. A cousin left them on the floor after playing with them and our dog thought they were cute munchies. I was heartbroken.
4. If you could make one thing in the world absolutely free for everyone, what would it be? Clean air and water
5. Do you live close to your immediate family members? If not, how far away are they? They're 6 hours by plane (including transfers) away
6. My mom ordered a turkey dinner from a local market. it was o.k., but not very good. how was your turkey (or last holiday meal) this year? Fantastic
7. In a one horse open sleigh: Have you ever been on a sleigh ride or a carriage ride? Do you even like horses? Or would you just rather travel by your own two feet? I've been on a carriage ride, but not the sleigh which I would love to experience one day
8. What is your favorite Christmas song? ...and sung or played by whom? You know, the one you tend to listen for on the radio or hit 'repeat' on the player... So many...but the one that warms my heart really is The Christmas Song by the Lettermen. There's no open fire, Jack Frost, nor folks dressed up like Eskimos in my part of the world but I love the song and I think that's the magic of christmas working
9. What is your least favorite Christmas song? ...and sung or played by whom? You know, the one you tend to skip on the player... Those turned into rap. I don't hate the genre but I'm not a big fan either