Skip to main content

As long as there is imagination


The second clinical impression on my son has just been forwarded to me. It is PDD (pervasive developmental disorder). Through the daze I decide to tackle it with optimism, and with as less drama as possible. In an effort to find something to kick start work on this challenge I find inspiration in the words of people who had learning difficulties and disabilities. From Tourette's syndrome to dyslexia, to OCD, to stuttering, they have been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I am going to get my T-shirt too.

1. Adversity leads us to think properly of our state, and so is most beneficial to us. Samuel Johnson

2. Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. George S. Patton

3. If you are going to go through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill

4. Passion is the great slayer of adversity. Focus on strengths and what you enjoy. Charles Schwab

5. We think of children as vulnerable. In my experience, they’re giants. Their bodies and souls are amazingly resilient. What we often mistake for fragility is their openness…. Fred Epstein

6. Every production of an artist should be the expression of an adventure of his soul. Somerset Maugham

7. If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there. Lewis Carroll

8. How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children. Charles Darwin

9. Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. Robert A. Heinlein

10. Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Albert Einstein

11. Discontent is the first necessity of progress. Thomas Alva Edison

12. A slender acquaintance with the world must convince every man that actions, not words, are the true criterion of the attachment of friends. George Washington

13. Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. Walt Disney

Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen

Comments

Pearl said…
like #11. that's comforting.

do you get the daily quotes from http://www.quotationsbook.com/ ?
Anonymous said…
you're doing great! this list is a proof.
sending you my best wishes...
Mercy said…
Nice list, happy T13!
Gal Friday said…
I see we were thinking along the same lines for this week's "13"!
I also listed some of my favorite quotes, and now I have learned some new ones, after reading your list.
I love your No. 9. :-)
Anonymous said…
Thanks. Very uplifting. I'd only seen a few of these before. I like the Einstein - he & I share a birthday (Tomorrow!)
Hazel said…
Pearl, I pick them at random sites, never heard of quotationsbook. thanks for the idea.

bonheursdaily, thank you.

rogue, thanks.

Gal Friday, I love no. 9 too :)

rlavalette, that's great! happy birthday to you :)
Indrani said…
Great quotes.
Very inspiring.
Rikki said…
Even though I am not going through hell, my favourite would be no. 3. I'll keep that one in mind.
One of our sons has DS, so optimism is a very important thing. Nice collection!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...