Skip to main content

Shiny floor

Two entries are integrated in this post: Sinaw nga Salog for the Bisdak Pictures of Life and Shiny Floor for Nostalgia which you have to scroll down for; thanks.

There's a brief introduction about Pictures of Life (Hulagway sa Kinabuhi) on my sidebar just above the Bisdak links. An English version of this post is available right below for friends and visitors who do not read Bisaya. This is a bi-lingual exercise for me.

S - SINAW NGA SALOG
Ga-inilis mig salog sa balay. Giuna ang sala. Pag shopping nako, isa ni sa mga estilo sa tiles nga akong napansin. Sinaw sa? Dako ra ni so di ni mao akong gipalit, pero gipikchuran nako kay nalingaw ko'g tan-aw samtang ga imagine sa mga choices para sa salog sa kusina.

SHINY FLOOR
We are changing the floors at home. First up is the living room. This is one design on display that caught my attention when I went shopping for tiles. Shiny, isn't it?  It is obviously wide. The living room is small so this is not what I bought, but I took a photo of it because I enjoyed imagining choices of tiles for the kitchen floor, which is next on the plan.


More entries in the Bisdak Bloggers home.

**********

Nostalgia 1: Shiny Floor

Wooden floor. Red cement floor; if that is how it was called. Those Philippine floors we trod on in the 70s. Remember the coconut husk? (read: lampaso). In school we learned to shine our classroom floor using this many-splendored nut. That was thirty, more or less, years ago; and unless you were brought up somewhere else or went to schools where servants did the scrubbing for students, you could relate with this blab one way or another.

At home I watched my son use his high back swivel chair as a makeshift car and get a big cousin to push him to and fro on the living room floor. This kid's idea of fun is as frolicsome as that coconut branch I rode on down muddy slopes during rainy afternoons. Ok,I did not exactly experience such ingenious ride, but developing media provided similar stories and a few illustrations. Back in the day, the lampaso was the secret to our shiny floors, wasn't it? Has anyone seen a lampaso recently? Or has it become a thing of the past? I'd like to run my fingers across one, one more time before it finally goes extinct and the memory of those shiny floors that were once witness to how young our feet were fade off our minds. 

Rose hosts Nostalgia. Click here to see what others are reminiscing about.

Comments

I love the lampaso more than the polisher...though ingnon nalang nato nga na phase out na.. kay wa nay lubi hahaha... mao na mga tiles na ang salog arun wa nay lampasohan... haha..

Hazel, manghangyo ko bi Ifollow ni nga blog, just need to reach 100 .. pls.. thanks in advance.. followed here the second time :) thank you :)
Chubskulit Rose said…
Oh I used to do lampaso in the floor too, not at our house but to my paternal home. You can still get lampaso sa Pinas, pagawa ka hehehe.. Natawa ako sa extinct lol. Si mama nga gumagamit pa ng lampaso eh.. Sa bukid kasi nakatira lol.

Thanks for joining sis. I don't speak bisaya but I do understand when I read it kkasi may mga neighbors kami sa bicol na bisaya ang lingo..
kim said…
hmmm.. i haven't been trying to make our floor shiny, my son is just too restless to last unharmed, lol!
Cookie said…
haha, nalingaw ko. but true, maka sinaw jud ang lampaso.
Goodluck sa imong kusina.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Have a nice Friday!
i can relate to scrubbing floors with lampaso. I used to do that back in elementary with my classmates before heading home. i haven't seen lampaso nowadays na....or at least in our household...

this is such a nostalgic share..it brings me back to my childhood.

thanks for visiting mine
Years ago, we've ever used 'lampaso' to clean our class room floor :)
Thanks for dropping by...
genny said…
we do have lampaso here, pero di nako ginagamit akong brother lang kay hangat.hehee
Dhemz said…
visiting from Nostalgia....:) korek, floor wax ug lampaso ang secret para pasinaw sa salog...ehehehe...h:)

Popular posts from this blog

Watch out for the urchin

Friends and I went island-hopping last year. My phone was changing indications of where we were several times. Names are difficult to read, much less remember. The main island where we hopped from is called Koh Chang or Elephant island. We went to five islets each taking about 15 minutes to reach. In a stop one of my friends encountered a sea urchin. They say a pee would cure the sting. I don't know if it's true. Another thing I heard about urchins is they could sense and would crawl towards human presence. Probably for more prickly attention? Although sometimes paradise has a price, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, the weather perfect and the breeze was just what our city-dwelling lungs needed. All is well. *** My World Tuesday is brought to you by Klaus and the My World Team Sandy , Wren , Fishing Guy , Sylvia

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Pretentious Diet

Our Weekend Memoirs: Dieting on Eggs Please scroll down for Sunday Stealing The chinese guy selling noodles in front of 7 Eleven also sells eggs. I wanted to buy some but he was busy with his customers and I couldn't wait. Back in front of the pc, a recent report that Margaret Thatcher's pre-election victory diet included 28 eggs a week had me reading more than I normally would big news. She is said to have told an interviewer that she had "no special dieting regime." Her pocket diary, which was released by the Margaret Thatcher Archive Trust seems to have revealed otherwise. But don't we all sometimes like to keep others wondering? The Iron Lady's husband though gives it to us straight and cool. When asked "who wears the pants in this house?" He replied, "I do. And I also iron them." This anecdote is exactly what I thought of while my southeast asian ass err... blood was quivering in the London cold as I stood on this famous street. Then M...