Skip to main content

The week's faves - Island Edition

August 12th, the Thai Queen's birthday is a national holiday here. That was Thursday and what luck, work bosses decided to give us Friday, the 13th free too. I and a couple of friends headed off to Thailand's second largest island, Koh Chang (Elephant Island), referred to by some as the Oriental Eden of the East. It's difficult trimming these faves to five but I'll try...

I. Nothing beats waiting for dinner chatting on hammocks! Behind us blazing rays of the setting sun blanketed the sea; the sound of waves gentle and the breeze therapeutic. Nature was addressing the ACs cooling our city offices - this is how you treat weary Bangkokians, gentlemen.

*The restaurant: Saffron on the Sea
*Main course: deep fried white snapper with mango and carrot strips, sweet basil, chinese celery, and cashew nuts
*Drinks: tequila sunrise drank at sunset and tempered by ginger and lemon grass tea

II. Okay, I took work to the island. But I calculated that in a place so beautiful inducing ideas for research would be a piece of fishcake, and it was. Toying with concept maps, I didn't regret not joining my friends at White Sand beach where they checked out a few bars and live music.


III. Exploring the rocks. Fun fun fun! And a 19-year-old memory came dancing back:

My cousins to their father: (pleading like brats) Come on, Papa. Please buy us that beach house in Aplaya...

My uncle to cousins: (looking overruled and drawing a resigned breath) You really want that property huh, kids?

Cousins in hopeful chorus: Yes!

Uncle with affectionate finality: OK. I love you so I will buy it... (and turning cheeky without warning) if you all stopped schooling first.

Its return accorded me equilibrium while I was maneuvering this boulder. The comic look on my cousins' faces when they were handed the trade had me in stiches inwardly. The wind pumped fresh oxygen into my lungs sending fondness back to my heart. I love my sometimes crazy family :)


IV. Island - hopping. I snoozed half the time on the boat like a classic old maid, (a nickname we tease each other with) and worked the camera for my friends who went snorkeling around each island we sailed to. My phone registered locations I could hardly pronounce, and the boat showed us sights to daydream on. And on. And on....


V. Bonus for a sinker. What's brilliant about this shallow part of the ocean I could shriek in delight is the presence of multi-colored fish here and there swooshing close to your body! We took hundreds of photos, and on one which was taken by our guide I discovered something - a big turtle below us was captured on the shot. What more could someone who can't swim ask for?


Head over to Susanne's Living to Tell the Story for more faves.

Comments

Carrie said…
It's amazing to think about the queen's birthday being a national holiday! But hey! I wouldn't complain either! And those hammocks? Looks like a great way to relax!

Hope you have a great weekend!
Hazel said…
Carrie, the queen's birthday is Mother's Day here as well
Jerralea said…
Gorgeous photos, Hazel!

Waiting on dinner in those hammocks looks heavenly!

I also loved the story of your cousins begging your uncle for a beach house!

What a wonderful holiday you had, even though you had to do some work as well.
Hazel said…
Jerralea, uncle understood his kids' motive for pleading - they wanted a hangout for themselves and their friends away from home :D
Hazel said…
Brenda, I'll vacate the one I'm on for you :)
Melissa said…
The hammocks look very inviting! Thanks for sharing your photos and descriptions; I almost feel as though I was there.
Hazel said…
Melissa, I'm glad you like them.
ellen b. said…
Sounds like you really enjoyed life this week! Good for you. It's great to get along with family. Have a wonderful weekend...
Anonymous said…
Well happy Holidays. Boy the Queen sure is powerful I tell ya LOL Anyway at least you get some time off. :) Ooo I really like those hammocks. The whole place looks so inviting. :) Okay old maid better luck next time for not falling asleep. How fun. I take it CJ was with dad? Have a great weekend :)
Hazel said…
ellen, thank you.

Thom, power that benefits commoners is always welcome :)
I didn't want to get off the hammock either. CJ was with granny.
Willow said…
What a weekend! oh yeah!

I had wondered where CJ was. I didn't think you were letting him get drinks with you at dinner :)

Think of all the wonderful memories you've made. Maybe in a few years you'll remember them and laugh again like you did over your uncle's rascally wily ways.
Hazel said…
Willow, CJ was with grandma. i wasn't letting him wander anywhere near those drinks :)

Yeah, memories. I'm loving the ones happening nowadays. Thanks.
Susanne said…
What a lovely place. It sounds like you have a wonderful getaway with good friends making good memories.
elizabeth said…
Sounds like your time away was something out of a dream!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...