Skip to main content

'Cambridge is a complex place'

... observes the Duke of Edinburgh. Someone from Cambridge University Press came to speak to us. He gave away Cambridge: 800th Anniversary Portrait to a Thai teacher, who handed the book to me as if she was glad to get rid of it. (It's ok. She doesn't read, nor speak English) Into my lap a treasure fell. Some days must be bright and cheery :-)


1. "As an undergraduate I was persuaded that the Dons were a wholly unnecessary part of the university. I derived no benefits from lectures, and I made a vow to myself that when in due course I became a lecturer I would not suppose that lecturing did any good. I have kept this vow." Bertrand Russell, The Autobiography of Bertrand Russell, 1967 (p.53)

2. "Cambridge, wet, cold, abstract, formal as it is, is an excellent place to write, read and work." Sylvia Plath, writing to her mother, 1956, from Letters Home, 1975 (p. 17)

3. "Dear Sir, I will be obliged to you to order me down 4 Dozen of Wine, Port, Sherry- Claret, & Mandeira, one Dozen of Each; I have got my Furniture in, and begin to admire College Life. Yesterday my appearance in the Hall in my State Robes was Superb, but uncomfortable to my diffidence." George Gordon Lord Byron, letter to John Hanson 1805 (p. 38)

4. "The churches in the town... are half empty." Nobel laureate Francis Crick writes to Sir Winston Churchill in 1961 (p. 263)

5. "We have mathematical lectures, once a day - Euclid and algebra alternately. I read mathematics three hours a day - by which means I am always considerably before the lectures, which are very good ones. Classical lectures we have had none yet-nor shall I be often bored with them. They are seldom given and, when given, very thinly attended." Samuel Taylor Coleridge, letter to his brother George, 1791 (p.49)

6. The marble index of a Mind for ever, Voyaging thro' strange seas of Thought, alone. William Wordsworth on Isaac Newton's statue in Trinity College (p.61)

7. "Although we shall presently see, there were redeeming features in my life at Cambridge, my time was sadly wasted there... but as some of my friends were very pleasant, and we were all in the highest spirits, I cannot help looking back at those times with much pleasure." Charles Darwin, His Life Told in an Autobiographical Chapter, edited by his son Francis Darwin, 1902

8. "...almost my favorite museum is the Fitzwilliam at Cambridge." Alan Bennett, Art, Architecture and Authors: Untold Stories, 2005 (p.209)

9. If you are a Jew or a Buddhist, you will have to make an effort to find out about the relevant religion groups and societies. If you are a Moslem you will find your needs badly catered for in Cambridge, and will have to work especially hard. Whether you're a Christian or not, you won't have to wait more than a few days before CICCU catches up with you." Varsity Handbook, 1980-1 (p.256)

10. "Animal behavior: chaffinches, meerkats and man" subtitle on the Biological and Medical Sciences page understandably with mention of Robert Hinde, Jane Goodall's PhD supervisor (p. 241)

11. "in a world rocked by greed, misunderstanding and fear, with the imminence of collapse into unbelievable horrors, it is still possible and justifiable to find the exact placing of two pebbles." Jim Ede in 1957 (p. 212)

12. "The game is more important than the score" motion of Anne Mallalieu's (first woman to be elected president of the Union Society) debate (p.192)

13. "'This is the city of dreaming spires,' Sheila said. 'Theoretically that's Oxford', Adam said. This is the city of perspiring dreams.'" From the Glittering Prizes, Frederick Raphael, 1976 (p.115)

Click here for more Thursday Thirteen

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's no wonder Cambridge didn't accept me LOL
Hazel said…
Thom, they asked me to defer my acceptance indefinitely lol!
Mia Celeste said…
Good post. I'd like to visit Cambridge someday.
Hootin Anni said…
Some great excerpts on the university here in your post.
Xakara said…
Wonderful quotes, especially the one from Sylvia Plath :).

I'd love to visit the university one day.

Happy TT,

~Xakara
My TT
Hazel said…
Anni, yes they are.

Xakara, I enjoyed Sylvia Plath's too
Anonymous said…
Such a radically different college experience than mine.
Heather said…
I think a great many college students the world round would be inclined to agree with Darwin, lol. Great quotes!
I am Harriet said…
Enjoyed your excerpts.


Have a great Thursday!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/10/hey-reeses-cup-36-cal-doesnt-mean-you-can-eat-two/
Hazel said…
Alice, yeah Cambridge is radical in many ways. The events forming and transforming it thoughout the ages make it - Cambridge.

Heather, they most probably would, lol!

Harriet, I'm glad you enjoyed them
sherilee said…
Great post! Makes me want to go visit!
Hazel said…
sherilee, it would be nice :)
Kristen said…
I always think of Cambridge as it appears in nineteenth century novels, cold, damp and harsh. I imagine it has moved into the 21st century in actuality, but that spoils its reputation a bit.
Hazel said…
Kristen, I share a similar sentiment. I am hoping I can still find it's old charm if or when I go visit.

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...