Skip to main content

Waxing classic

When I feel like passing out attacking terrene everyday-ness, I turn to classical music. These things dance in my mind as the first strain goes off:

1. film scores
2. those childhood piano lessons
3. Europe
4. killer essay exams
5. pregnancy and babies
6. orchestra
7. Math and Science
8. relaxation
9. plenary halls
10. qualitative research analysis
11. humming to self
12. appealing quaintness
13. being at peace with the world

What are your associations with classical music?

~ header from Samulli / click here for more T13 ~

Comments

Anonymous said…
Not a whole lot my friend. I don't listen to it hardly at all. Call me uncultured. LOL
Hazel said…
Hardly Thom :))) Classical is not the only mark of culture last time I checked
Indrani said…
Classical music is calming.
You have a whole range of thoughts... from pregnancy to technology. :)
Mariposa said…
I feel like I am somewhere in time!
Shelley Munro said…
I don't listen to much classical either, but I often associate it with commercials. A lot of commercials use classical music.
Hazel said…
Indrani, peels off some neurosis :D

Shelley, true. The Masters are doing the commercial industry great service long after they're gone.

Mariposa, it's probably one of the many things CM does to you, it's one of my faves too :)
Unknown said…
I don't listen to classical music. When I think of it, I picture a guy in a smoking jacket, holding a snifter of brandy, smoking a cigar in his library. lol
Happy T13!
colleen said…
It makes movie scenes play in my head!
Unknown said…
I used classical music to study to in High School and University. It brings me to a calm state. I love it!

Happy TT

Shasher's Life: 13 of my Nicknames
Mia Celeste said…
Music is a great gift. I find it inspires thoughts and emotions too.
Hazel said…
Adelle, I'll have just the library :D

colleen, on mine too :)

Shash, that's a good one

Brenda, oh yes, it's big on emotions
I am Harriet said…
There are a lot of connections between many of those.

Enjoy your Thursday!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/07/if-we-survive-the-heat-we-too-can-live-to-be-100/
soleil said…
Classical music associations for me go like this-Fur Elise, piano, piano competitions, Van Cliburn International. I have very fond memories of keeping up with the Van Cliburn by reading the paper religiously, listening to the broad livecasts on TCU radio and attending performances.
jillconyers said…
My first thought was driving home from work. That is the best way for me to go from psych-Jill to mom-Jill.
Kristen said…
After piano lessons, I'd have to say classical music reminds me of crazy conductors and Victor Borge.
Amanda Moore said…
I do love Classical music from Romeo and Juliette to the flight of the Bumble Bee and the William Tell Overture my selections are eclectic but I don't have the vivid association going through my mind just trying to follow the music accurately.
Great list for T13
My reply is here
http://moorebloglife.blog.com/2010/07/08/thursday-thirteen/
Hazel said…
Harriet, and the list could go on and on

jehara, fuer elise...yeah those piano lessons when we were kids. and Van Cliburn - I haven't thought of him in a long time

jill, that's just wonderful!

Kristen, oh the crazy conductors! and victor borge's still funny :D
classical is calming so is country!

Faux Pas not Funky

Popular posts from this blog

Watch out for the urchin

Friends and I went island-hopping last year. My phone was changing indications of where we were several times. Names are difficult to read, much less remember. The main island where we hopped from is called Koh Chang or Elephant island. We went to five islets each taking about 15 minutes to reach. In a stop one of my friends encountered a sea urchin. They say a pee would cure the sting. I don't know if it's true. Another thing I heard about urchins is they could sense and would crawl towards human presence. Probably for more prickly attention? Although sometimes paradise has a price, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, the weather perfect and the breeze was just what our city-dwelling lungs needed. All is well. *** My World Tuesday is brought to you by Klaus and the My World Team Sandy , Wren , Fishing Guy , Sylvia

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Pretentious Diet

Our Weekend Memoirs: Dieting on Eggs Please scroll down for Sunday Stealing The chinese guy selling noodles in front of 7 Eleven also sells eggs. I wanted to buy some but he was busy with his customers and I couldn't wait. Back in front of the pc, a recent report that Margaret Thatcher's pre-election victory diet included 28 eggs a week had me reading more than I normally would big news. She is said to have told an interviewer that she had "no special dieting regime." Her pocket diary, which was released by the Margaret Thatcher Archive Trust seems to have revealed otherwise. But don't we all sometimes like to keep others wondering? The Iron Lady's husband though gives it to us straight and cool. When asked "who wears the pants in this house?" He replied, "I do. And I also iron them." This anecdote is exactly what I thought of while my southeast asian ass err... blood was quivering in the London cold as I stood on this famous street. Then M...