Skip to main content

Virus?... here, Ma'am!

Golf is my ex-hubster's sport. It is also his friend's son's nickname. Golf's younger brother's nickname is Beer. Ex-hubster's nephew is fondly called Fluke, and somewhere in this strange kingdom I came across a girl nicknamed Gift. Check out some of the rest, spelled as they are in documents and see what they mean in someone else's local dialect:

1. Virus destruction, harm, jealousy personified
2. Birat pronounced bi-lat which means female genital
3. Paleeya bitter gourd
4. Anus down the alimentary canal, out of it
5. Auten male genital
6. Pota prostitute
7. Sukanya his or her vomit
8. Panit skin
9. Atchara papaya pickle
10. Tilawan to taste
11. Olopong serpent
12. Sombut alternately to confront and a confrontation
13. Karoon now

Find more lists at Megan and Janet's T13

Comments

Shelley Munro said…
Wow! These poor people. That's all I can say.
Rekaya Gibson said…
Interesting. I learned something on your blog today. Thanks for sharing.

The Food Temptress
Hazel said…
Shelley, I feel similarly but over here when foreigners mispronounce these names they become the laughing stock
Hazel said…
Rekaya, glad to know that :)
Unknown said…
Papaya pickle. LOL Happy T13!
Hazel said…
Adelle, yeah perfect for fried fish or chicken :D
Danielle said…
What are people thinking? Especially with number 7. hummmm......
Hazel said…
Somebody help!
CountryDew said…
Wow. What a great reason to remember to keep my mouth shut!
Hazel said…
At certain times keeping the mouth shut sounds like the best option
Heather said…
There are times I'm glad not to have a nickname. This is one of those times! lol
Anonymous said…
Wait, these are thing people are actually called? How unkind.
Hazel said…
Heather, good for you :)
Hazel said…
Alice, yes but not unkind because to them those are names and such names are normal to them. Perhaps you were thinking of the meanings? Well, those are meanings in someone else's dialect, like I said in the beginning.
I am Harriet said…
A few new things for me.

Have a great day!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/11/the-13-us-cities-with-the-most-attractive-people-according-to-travel-and-leisure/
Anonymous said…
I love learning new words!
Ebie said…
Hehehehe, bring these students in a Filipino class...who would hear a roar!
Indrani said…
Interesting nicknames. :)
kimmyschemy said…
hehehe... interesting!
Hazel said…
Ate Ebie, exactly :D

Indrani and kim, they are :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...