Skip to main content

Hazel in poetry and prose

Hazel stars
mysteriously in Mars
Hazel dances
with the czars
Flap your wings
and fly with me
We dream, we explore
magically.

-Hazel, Delineating Des

A note before we take off: The links are to acknowledge sources and that apart from them, the only thing that's mine in this post is the introductory babble above. Here's hoping the attempt didn't wreak too much damage on the magic below. Here we go -
 
1. An old charm for curing an adder bite requires a piece of hazelwood in the shape of a cross to be placed upon the wound, and the following lines repeated:
"Underneath this hazelin mote, There's a braggoty worm with a speckled throat,
Nine double is he, Now from eight double to seven double
And from seven double to six double and so on until:
And from one double to no double, No double hath he"
2. An essay by Megan Elizabeth Farris:
The "Ruint" Doll: Hazel's loss of innoncence in Kettle Bottom 
3. The Song of the Wandering Aengus by W.B. Yeats:
"I went out to the hazelwood, Because a fire was in my head"
4. Cad Goddeu, The Romance of Taliesen:
The hazel was arbiter at this charmed time.
5. Hazel Eyes by Gershon Hepner:
Eyes provoke a lover’s dreams whether hazel, brown or blue,
With her eyes she casts a spell–– hazel clearly suits her well.
6. Unlicensed Love by Jim Sharman:
I'll never know the how's and why's I lost my heart to Hazel Eyes
But when I got that long sought kiss I knew I'd found my Perfect Miss
My elfin girl from down the lane And I'll never let her go again
7. Hazel Green by Odo Hirsch:
"The children," said Hazel." 'Adults here don't know anything about what it's like to grow up.'
8. The Lady in the Lake by Sir Walter Scott:
"The stag at eve had drunk his fill, Where danced the moon on Monan's rill,
And deep his midnight lair had made In lone Glenartney's hazel shade...."
9. Two years three months and eternity on Hazel's Poems ©2006 Barbara Allen:
Hazel, my princess you were there... I saw you waiting for the others in a circle patiently, quietly
10. Flower Fairies of the Autumn, The Song of the Hazelnut Fairy:
Slowly, slowly while I watched them well
See, my nuts have ripened; now I've news to tell
11. The honeysuckle and the hazel tree: medieval stories of men and women:
Tristan and Iseut were together briefly thanks to Tristan's inscription of his name on a branch of a hazel tree...
12. Genesis 30:37, King James Version of the Bible:
And Jacob took him rods of green poplar, and of the hazel and chestnut tree; and pilled white streaks in them, and made the white appear which was in the rods.
13. Hazel tells Lavernne by Katharyn Machan:
Last night I was cleaning out my howard johnsons ladies room when all of a sudden up pops this frog...
This post is linked with Thursday Thirteen

Comments

anthonynorth said…
It's obviously a popular word. Enjoyed the list :-)
Unknown said…
Very interesting. Happy St Patty's Day!
Hazel said…
Why does Patty sound like something edible to me right now? Happy St Patty's Day to you too, Adelle.

Anthony, glad you enjoyed it :)
CountryDew said…
I have hazel eyes, or so I am told. I have always thought it a funny word for my eye color.
Hazel said…
Now you might relate with 5 and 6 :)
I am Harriet said…
Hey- I named my dog Hazel. It must be a great name :)

Enjoy your Thursday!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/03/going-green-while-going-green/
Hazel said…
It is. I'm actually loving it :) (not Mcdonald, but Hazel)
Alice Audrey said…
It seems so sad to me when grown ups forget what it was like to be a kid.
Unknown said…
Dear Hazel!

Your blog is so beautiful! Could you share me how to do it?

Please kindly visit to our blog:

http://my.opera.com/viethuetrangha/blog/

Thanks and best regards,

Viet Hoang Tuan
veithoangtuan@gmail.com
Shelley Munro said…
An interesting TT. Hazel was my mother's second name.

Popular posts from this blog

The Hunchback of Abella

A Duet When I was about 8 years old, I sang Something's Happened to Daddy in church. My father was not a church-goer so the guy I sang with was my mother's friend's husband. Papa keeps coming to my mind these days. January is the month he was felled by a massive coronary. Next week on the 14th is the anniversary of his death. The only times he ever set foot in church were during weddings and funerals of family and friends. I remember him being present in church eagerly when I was a flower girl at an aunt's wedding. Finally he entered church one more time. At his own funeral. I made sure church was the very place he went to before the cemetery. I only wished he was the one I sang with. Amy hosts head over to Signs, Miracles and Wonders for more music or to join ************************************ Guns n' Roses and the Hunchback of Abella My childhood was what can most likely be called normal. There was a balance of happy and sad memories. Today's

Sense and Sensibility: 200th anniversary

In 1811 Thomas Egerton of Whitehall, London published Sense and Sensibility . Quick math shows it has been two centuries since Jane Austen became a full-fledged author. Quite an anniversary, indeed. A celebration, I declare . Blogs regarding the publication anniversary of this romance novel picture Jane Austen 's engagements whilst making the final touches of her manuscript from Sloane Street. In letters to her sister Cassandra, Jane gave accounts of her shopping for muslin, the party that their brother Henry and SIL Eliza gave; mentioned several acquaintances, and referred to her book as S and S . As a fan I wonder which between sense and sensibility did JA deem more important since she portrayed both attributes equally well. I'm obliged to enthuse over my S & S reading experience. Alas, I only managed fourteen chapters before getting sidetracked by another novel, the very first that JA wrote. I will resume and complete my affair with the celebrant before 2011 end

Thirteen 13-word Quotes

1. I may be wrong , but I have never found deserting friends conciliates enemies. Margot Asquith , British Political Hostess (1864-1945) 2. Man's love is of man's life a thing apart; Girls aren't like that Kingsley Amis , English novelist and poet (1922-1995) "A Book Idyll" ~ see possible origin, also a 13- word quote: M an's love is of man's life a thing apart, 'Tis woman's whole existence Lord Byron (1788-1824) 3. An autobiography is an obituary in serial form with the last instalment missing. Quentin Crisp , English writer The Naked Civil Servant (1968) 4. Happy the hare at morning for she cannot read the hunter's waking thoughts. W.H. Auden , English poet (1907-73) Dog Beneath the Skin 5. Kissenger brought peace to Vietnam the same way Napoleon brought peace to Europe. (by losing) Joseph Heller, American novelist (1923- ) 6. Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give; Gas smells awful; You might as well live. Dorothy Parker ,