Skip to main content

Hazel in poetry and prose

Hazel stars
mysteriously in Mars
Hazel dances
with the czars
Flap your wings
and fly with me
We dream, we explore
magically.

-Hazel, Delineating Des

A note before we take off: The links are to acknowledge sources and that apart from them, the only thing that's mine in this post is the introductory babble above. Here's hoping the attempt didn't wreak too much damage on the magic below. Here we go -
 
1. An old charm for curing an adder bite requires a piece of hazelwood in the shape of a cross to be placed upon the wound, and the following lines repeated:
"Underneath this hazelin mote, There's a braggoty worm with a speckled throat,
Nine double is he, Now from eight double to seven double
And from seven double to six double and so on until:
And from one double to no double, No double hath he"
2. An essay by Megan Elizabeth Farris:
The "Ruint" Doll: Hazel's loss of innoncence in Kettle Bottom 
3. The Song of the Wandering Aengus by W.B. Yeats:
"I went out to the hazelwood, Because a fire was in my head"
4. Cad Goddeu, The Romance of Taliesen:
The hazel was arbiter at this charmed time.
5. Hazel Eyes by Gershon Hepner:
Eyes provoke a lover’s dreams whether hazel, brown or blue,
With her eyes she casts a spell–– hazel clearly suits her well.
6. Unlicensed Love by Jim Sharman:
I'll never know the how's and why's I lost my heart to Hazel Eyes
But when I got that long sought kiss I knew I'd found my Perfect Miss
My elfin girl from down the lane And I'll never let her go again
7. Hazel Green by Odo Hirsch:
"The children," said Hazel." 'Adults here don't know anything about what it's like to grow up.'
8. The Lady in the Lake by Sir Walter Scott:
"The stag at eve had drunk his fill, Where danced the moon on Monan's rill,
And deep his midnight lair had made In lone Glenartney's hazel shade...."
9. Two years three months and eternity on Hazel's Poems ©2006 Barbara Allen:
Hazel, my princess you were there... I saw you waiting for the others in a circle patiently, quietly
10. Flower Fairies of the Autumn, The Song of the Hazelnut Fairy:
Slowly, slowly while I watched them well
See, my nuts have ripened; now I've news to tell
11. The honeysuckle and the hazel tree: medieval stories of men and women:
Tristan and Iseut were together briefly thanks to Tristan's inscription of his name on a branch of a hazel tree...
12. Genesis 30:37, King James Version of the Bible:
And Jacob took him rods of green poplar, and of the hazel and chestnut tree; and pilled white streaks in them, and made the white appear which was in the rods.
13. Hazel tells Lavernne by Katharyn Machan:
Last night I was cleaning out my howard johnsons ladies room when all of a sudden up pops this frog...
This post is linked with Thursday Thirteen

Comments

anthonynorth said…
It's obviously a popular word. Enjoyed the list :-)
Unknown said…
Very interesting. Happy St Patty's Day!
Hazel said…
Why does Patty sound like something edible to me right now? Happy St Patty's Day to you too, Adelle.

Anthony, glad you enjoyed it :)
CountryDew said…
I have hazel eyes, or so I am told. I have always thought it a funny word for my eye color.
Hazel said…
Now you might relate with 5 and 6 :)
I am Harriet said…
Hey- I named my dog Hazel. It must be a great name :)

Enjoy your Thursday!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/03/going-green-while-going-green/
Hazel said…
It is. I'm actually loving it :) (not Mcdonald, but Hazel)
Alice Audrey said…
It seems so sad to me when grown ups forget what it was like to be a kid.
Unknown said…
Dear Hazel!

Your blog is so beautiful! Could you share me how to do it?

Please kindly visit to our blog:

http://my.opera.com/viethuetrangha/blog/

Thanks and best regards,

Viet Hoang Tuan
veithoangtuan@gmail.com
Shelley Munro said…
An interesting TT. Hazel was my mother's second name.

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...