Skip to main content

My son is not spoiled

Small Talk Six: “6 ways you indulge or spoil your children.”
Join in here. Please scroll down for Weekend Funnies


Here's a little case background: Growing up I was as disciplined by my mother as I was spoiled by my father. When I became a mom I chose to employ my mother's parenting style until divorce entered the scene. Full child custody has a price. With caregiving and developmental issues I ended up shuttling my son between 2 countries 5 times in less than 6 years. Through guilt and panic I struggle to make up for my sins >>>

1. There's this rule I set for myself to follow a certain budget each month for all his expenses and NOT to buy anything beyond the budget. But when he suddenly wants a new bike, I break my own rule.

2. It's usually during overseas trips that I indulge him the most. On a cruise in Hong Kong recently, I let him goof with my mini-tiara and play with my diamond ring eventhough I am aware of his penchant for throwing things when bored and he could toss those accessories out the yacht any minute.

3. Echoing no. 1, I buy him a toy I don't expect to buy. At a Victoria Peak shop he spotted a clone of the Ultraman doll he was carrying in his left hand and demanded to have the clone. I gave in to prevent a simmering tantrum.

4. Being a picky eater, sky becomes the limit when there's something he particularly fancies. As he would rather starve than eat what he doesn't like, and I am a lousy cook, I take him to restaurants regularly and let him be the boss over the menu.

5. He dominates my computer; draws monkeys on my research printouts. I close my eyes to work that is put on hold.

6. I let him resist shower, toothbrushing and bedtime longer than I should because I don't have time to argue and heck I need to go to work.

See, he isn't spoiled. God I got homework.

**********************************

Weekend Funnies: Fact of the Week
Join co-hosts Shakira and Gattina

You're not the only fan of TGIF ---

(Thanks again Mareng for this fun)
Happy Saturday, friends!

Comments

Katie said…
Stopping by from MomDots Small Talk Six...LOL you made me Laugh out Loud!
Hazel said…
Hi Katie, perhaps guilt sometimes makes one funny :D
Maude Lynn said…
That joke about the calendar is hilarious!
Hazel said…
Mama Zen, is it not! lol
Unknown said…
OMG, Hazel..I never thought of that...think the fever just fried my brain too.LOL

I hope your son will be well soon.
Jasmine has Nephrotic Syndrome which is a kidney disorder. She had it when she was 18 months then was having a remission for 10 years. So, MIRACLE does happen. It is tough on all of us but accepting the situation makes it easier and more comforting.

I am sure YOU and CJ will be just fine...remember you are never alone?

take care of you?

my prayers and hugs
shakira
Unknown said…
Hahahaha...
my youngest has a tshirt that says

"I am not a spoiled brat,
just well taken care of."

and she wears it so proudly too.LOL

hugs
shakira
Hazel said…
Hi Shakira, so sorry about your daughter but I'm glad there are miracles. Stay strong. Now I see how "You Are Never Alone" is so apt :)

I wonder if that shirt your youngest owns is sold somewhere here. It would fit CJ perfectly :) These shirt manufacturers just know where to hit parents ... lol

Thanks for the visit, Muah!
Tena said…
the things we moms will do just to keep the peace at time! Great ( and funny) list!

Stopping by from momdot
Katie said…
my daughter is also addicted to our computer and pretty things!
Momma Chick said…
Mine dominates my phone and I always use her as excuses to put off housework. Why clean when you can play?
Anonymous said…
I think CJ is one of the luckiest little one's around. I say bending rules is norm. That's why rules are in place. To bend and break them if you ask me. Makes life much more interesting that way. But when they are broken there is always the time when you need to follow them and discipline as well. Hard balance. Shoot I'd be at a restaurant every day as well. I'm a lousy cook as well. Get hives in the kitchen LOL. Love the joke. I can't believe I've never seen or thought of that before. Too funny :) Have a great weekend :)
Hazel said…
Hi Tena, isn't it amazing and sometimes downright crazy? lol

Hi Katie, guess most kids are nowadays. And she's addicted to pretty things? I want a daughter like that!

Hi Butterfly, I agree :)
Hazel said…
Hi Thom, I agree it's a hard balance. I take it one day at a time :) and the joke, I thot it's old news to you... lol!
Ebie said…
I have to laugh about the days of the week, did not realize that!

Of course, CJ deserves the best, being the only kid! I did anything for my kid, too. hehehehe mantinir lang ta ug no name brands, unya ilaha levis, heheheh!
Hazel said…
Ate Eb, neither did I... korek jud ang mga brands. pag abot ni cj straight - straight na akong ka mantinir lol!

Popular posts from this blog

The Hunchback of Abella

A Duet When I was about 8 years old, I sang Something's Happened to Daddy in church. My father was not a church-goer so the guy I sang with was my mother's friend's husband. Papa keeps coming to my mind these days. January is the month he was felled by a massive coronary. Next week on the 14th is the anniversary of his death. The only times he ever set foot in church were during weddings and funerals of family and friends. I remember him being present in church eagerly when I was a flower girl at an aunt's wedding. Finally he entered church one more time. At his own funeral. I made sure church was the very place he went to before the cemetery. I only wished he was the one I sang with. Amy hosts head over to Signs, Miracles and Wonders for more music or to join ************************************ Guns n' Roses and the Hunchback of Abella My childhood was what can most likely be called normal. There was a balance of happy and sad memories. Today's

Sense and Sensibility: 200th anniversary

In 1811 Thomas Egerton of Whitehall, London published Sense and Sensibility . Quick math shows it has been two centuries since Jane Austen became a full-fledged author. Quite an anniversary, indeed. A celebration, I declare . Blogs regarding the publication anniversary of this romance novel picture Jane Austen 's engagements whilst making the final touches of her manuscript from Sloane Street. In letters to her sister Cassandra, Jane gave accounts of her shopping for muslin, the party that their brother Henry and SIL Eliza gave; mentioned several acquaintances, and referred to her book as S and S . As a fan I wonder which between sense and sensibility did JA deem more important since she portrayed both attributes equally well. I'm obliged to enthuse over my S & S reading experience. Alas, I only managed fourteen chapters before getting sidetracked by another novel, the very first that JA wrote. I will resume and complete my affair with the celebrant before 2011 end

Thirteen 13-word Quotes

1. I may be wrong , but I have never found deserting friends conciliates enemies. Margot Asquith , British Political Hostess (1864-1945) 2. Man's love is of man's life a thing apart; Girls aren't like that Kingsley Amis , English novelist and poet (1922-1995) "A Book Idyll" ~ see possible origin, also a 13- word quote: M an's love is of man's life a thing apart, 'Tis woman's whole existence Lord Byron (1788-1824) 3. An autobiography is an obituary in serial form with the last instalment missing. Quentin Crisp , English writer The Naked Civil Servant (1968) 4. Happy the hare at morning for she cannot read the hunter's waking thoughts. W.H. Auden , English poet (1907-73) Dog Beneath the Skin 5. Kissenger brought peace to Vietnam the same way Napoleon brought peace to Europe. (by losing) Joseph Heller, American novelist (1923- ) 6. Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give; Gas smells awful; You might as well live. Dorothy Parker ,