Skip to main content

My son is not spoiled

Small Talk Six: “6 ways you indulge or spoil your children.”
Join in here. Please scroll down for Weekend Funnies


Here's a little case background: Growing up I was as disciplined by my mother as I was spoiled by my father. When I became a mom I chose to employ my mother's parenting style until divorce entered the scene. Full child custody has a price. With caregiving and developmental issues I ended up shuttling my son between 2 countries 5 times in less than 6 years. Through guilt and panic I struggle to make up for my sins >>>

1. There's this rule I set for myself to follow a certain budget each month for all his expenses and NOT to buy anything beyond the budget. But when he suddenly wants a new bike, I break my own rule.

2. It's usually during overseas trips that I indulge him the most. On a cruise in Hong Kong recently, I let him goof with my mini-tiara and play with my diamond ring eventhough I am aware of his penchant for throwing things when bored and he could toss those accessories out the yacht any minute.

3. Echoing no. 1, I buy him a toy I don't expect to buy. At a Victoria Peak shop he spotted a clone of the Ultraman doll he was carrying in his left hand and demanded to have the clone. I gave in to prevent a simmering tantrum.

4. Being a picky eater, sky becomes the limit when there's something he particularly fancies. As he would rather starve than eat what he doesn't like, and I am a lousy cook, I take him to restaurants regularly and let him be the boss over the menu.

5. He dominates my computer; draws monkeys on my research printouts. I close my eyes to work that is put on hold.

6. I let him resist shower, toothbrushing and bedtime longer than I should because I don't have time to argue and heck I need to go to work.

See, he isn't spoiled. God I got homework.

**********************************

Weekend Funnies: Fact of the Week
Join co-hosts Shakira and Gattina

You're not the only fan of TGIF ---

(Thanks again Mareng for this fun)
Happy Saturday, friends!

Comments

Katie said…
Stopping by from MomDots Small Talk Six...LOL you made me Laugh out Loud!
Hazel said…
Hi Katie, perhaps guilt sometimes makes one funny :D
Maude Lynn said…
That joke about the calendar is hilarious!
Hazel said…
Mama Zen, is it not! lol
Unknown said…
OMG, Hazel..I never thought of that...think the fever just fried my brain too.LOL

I hope your son will be well soon.
Jasmine has Nephrotic Syndrome which is a kidney disorder. She had it when she was 18 months then was having a remission for 10 years. So, MIRACLE does happen. It is tough on all of us but accepting the situation makes it easier and more comforting.

I am sure YOU and CJ will be just fine...remember you are never alone?

take care of you?

my prayers and hugs
shakira
Unknown said…
Hahahaha...
my youngest has a tshirt that says

"I am not a spoiled brat,
just well taken care of."

and she wears it so proudly too.LOL

hugs
shakira
Hazel said…
Hi Shakira, so sorry about your daughter but I'm glad there are miracles. Stay strong. Now I see how "You Are Never Alone" is so apt :)

I wonder if that shirt your youngest owns is sold somewhere here. It would fit CJ perfectly :) These shirt manufacturers just know where to hit parents ... lol

Thanks for the visit, Muah!
Tena said…
the things we moms will do just to keep the peace at time! Great ( and funny) list!

Stopping by from momdot
Katie said…
my daughter is also addicted to our computer and pretty things!
Momma Chick said…
Mine dominates my phone and I always use her as excuses to put off housework. Why clean when you can play?
Anonymous said…
I think CJ is one of the luckiest little one's around. I say bending rules is norm. That's why rules are in place. To bend and break them if you ask me. Makes life much more interesting that way. But when they are broken there is always the time when you need to follow them and discipline as well. Hard balance. Shoot I'd be at a restaurant every day as well. I'm a lousy cook as well. Get hives in the kitchen LOL. Love the joke. I can't believe I've never seen or thought of that before. Too funny :) Have a great weekend :)
Hazel said…
Hi Tena, isn't it amazing and sometimes downright crazy? lol

Hi Katie, guess most kids are nowadays. And she's addicted to pretty things? I want a daughter like that!

Hi Butterfly, I agree :)
Hazel said…
Hi Thom, I agree it's a hard balance. I take it one day at a time :) and the joke, I thot it's old news to you... lol!
Ebie said…
I have to laugh about the days of the week, did not realize that!

Of course, CJ deserves the best, being the only kid! I did anything for my kid, too. hehehehe mantinir lang ta ug no name brands, unya ilaha levis, heheheh!
Hazel said…
Ate Eb, neither did I... korek jud ang mga brands. pag abot ni cj straight - straight na akong ka mantinir lol!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...