Skip to main content

Hard habit to break

Weekend Funnies: Brown Humor
Scroll down for Saturday 9

This is a passage from Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, p. 299-300. I don't know what got into me but this part cracked me up --

The homeless man on the bench in front of the Library of Congress rubbed his eyes and watched the strange scene unfolding before him. A white Volvo had just jumped the curb, lurched across the deserted pedestrian walkway, and screeched to a halt at the foot of the Library's main entrance. An attractive, dark-haired woman had leaped out, anxiously surveying the area, and spotting the homeless man had shouted, 'Do you have a phone?'

Lady, I don't have a shoe.

Apparently realizing as much, the woman dashed up the staircase toward the library's main doors. Arriving at the top of the stairs, she grabbed the handle and tried to open each of the three giant doors.

The library's closed, lady.

But the woman didn't seem to care. She seized one of the heavy, ring-shaped handles, heaved it backward, and let it fall with a loud crash against the door. Then she did it again, again and again.

Wow, the homeless man thought, she must really need a book.

Shakira and Gattina host

*******************************************

Saturday 9: Hard Habit to Break

1. Do you have any habits or rituals at this time of year? Yes, I order myself to forget the issues of life the entire season and just be happy

2. Polar bears seem to do well in the snow... How about you? Is snow just another thing you deal with when it shows up, or is it shutdown time? ...and if you're posting from a non-snowy locale, do you make trips to actually see snow? It's okay to admit it...It was a thrill to see snow for the first time, but my southeast asian blood warned, 'you go out there, I'll curdle.'

3. Tell about a toy you remember from your childhood. Barbie dolls sent in from Australia. A cousin left them on the floor after playing with them and our dog thought they were cute munchies. I was heartbroken.

4. If you could make one thing in the world absolutely free for everyone, what would it be? Clean air and water

5. Do you live close to your immediate family members? If not, how far away are they? They're 6 hours by plane (including transfers) away

6. My mom ordered a turkey dinner from a local market. it was o.k., but not very good. how was your turkey (or last holiday meal) this year? Fantastic

7. In a one horse open sleigh: Have you ever been on a sleigh ride or a carriage ride? Do you even like horses? Or would you just rather travel by your own two feet? I've been on a carriage ride, but not the sleigh which I would love to experience one day

8. What is your favorite Christmas song? ...and sung or played by whom? You know, the one you tend to listen for on the radio or hit 'repeat' on the player... So many...but the one that warms my heart really is The Christmas Song by the Lettermen. There's no open fire, Jack Frost, nor folks dressed up like Eskimos in my part of the world but I love the song and I think that's the magic of christmas working

9. What is your least favorite Christmas song? ...and sung or played by whom? You know, the one you tend to skip on the player... Those turned into rap. I don't hate the genre but I'm not a big fan either

Crazy Sam hosts

Comments

Bud Fisher said…
Six hours by plane is a bit of a distance! Hope all is well... :)
I am Harriet said…
I can't believe your dog ate your Barbies!
Have a great weekend!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/12/the-frisky-says-six-things-men-say-that-signal-trouble/
Hazel said…
...and a bit tiresome too but thanks, Bud.
Hazel said…
Harriet, I can't believe someone was too brilliant to leave the dolls where they don't belong :(
Ingrid said…
I hope she got her book, lol !
Hazel said…
I hope so too LOL!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...