Skip to main content

Rumford

The Rumford is a much more efficient way to heat a room than earlier fireplaces....
(Wikipedia on Benjamin Thompson, Count Rumford, designer of tall, shallow fireplaces which are now known as the Rumford, was an Anglo-American physicist known for his investigations of heat)
Living in the tropics, I have been in close proximity with only three fireplaces in my life. There was an unused one in the home of my college professor in the Philippines. The other one from which I could feel the heat and see the fire dancing was in a hotel lobby in the Yorkshire Moors. Picture taking was quick. Two old ladies were having tea by it, but that was my first ever real fireplace experience, and I loved it. The latest I have touched is the one in Jane Austen's imaginary Northanger Abbey.
The fireplace, where she had expected the ample width and ponderous carvings of former times, was contracted to a Rumford, with slabs of plain though handsome marbles, and ornament over it of the prettiest English china.
Fireplaces. What charming spots they are!


This post is linked with ABC Wednesday.

Comments

photowannabe said…
Never really thought about people not being around fireplaces. It really is a cozy thing. Love your shot of this one.
MaR said…
And I am enjoying mine right now!! r is for...
Carver said…
Interesting post about the Rumford. I need to get a chimney sweep in as my fireplace isn't drawing well.
Rajesh said…
I have never experienced a fire place so far.
We have a non-working fireplace. Meh.
This one's nice, though.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team
anthonynorth said…
Oh, I'm used to fireplaces. I was born and bred just off those Yorkshire Moors.
Great words.
VioletSky said…
I've always wanted to live in a house with a fireplace. Central heating is very good, but you can't look at the vents and dream....
That is a beautiful fireplace. It oozes warmth. I love fireplaces and tending the fires in them. Alas, we moved and have no fireplace...
great post - never heard of these before
Berowne said…
Which one did Santa come down? :-)
J.Rylie.C said…
Very cozy fireplace!

My R is about Raking Leaves, please come and see.
Hi Hazel. Thanks for your comment on my blog post. I also wrestled with my son (who also didn't like going to school) - whether to homeschool him. In the end, I decided not to. I took A LOT of time looking into the schools in our town. I found two GREAT ones (elementary and high school) - middle school was horrible. I wish you a lot of luck and if you want to talk about options, I'd love to hear about it!
Chubskulit Rose said…
Wow sis, dami mong stored knowledge hehehe.

Rosary Beads

Join ka uli sa Nostalgia bukas, mwah!
jill said…
Hi,Im sat infront of mine now as I type this to you and in North yorkshire.Love Jill xx
Hazel said…
Awww how lovely, and very nostalgic for me. Thank you Jill xxx
mrsnesbitt said…
I too am by my burner - log burning Rayburn, also in North Yorkshire! How funny! lol!
Thanks so much
Denise ABC Team
Hazel said…
Wow this is getting cozier :) Thank you Mrs Nesbitt.

Popular posts from this blog

Watch out for the urchin

Friends and I went island-hopping last year. My phone was changing indications of where we were several times. Names are difficult to read, much less remember. The main island where we hopped from is called Koh Chang or Elephant island. We went to five islets each taking about 15 minutes to reach. In a stop one of my friends encountered a sea urchin. They say a pee would cure the sting. I don't know if it's true. Another thing I heard about urchins is they could sense and would crawl towards human presence. Probably for more prickly attention? Although sometimes paradise has a price, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, the weather perfect and the breeze was just what our city-dwelling lungs needed. All is well. *** My World Tuesday is brought to you by Klaus and the My World Team Sandy , Wren , Fishing Guy , Sylvia

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Pretentious Diet

Our Weekend Memoirs: Dieting on Eggs Please scroll down for Sunday Stealing The chinese guy selling noodles in front of 7 Eleven also sells eggs. I wanted to buy some but he was busy with his customers and I couldn't wait. Back in front of the pc, a recent report that Margaret Thatcher's pre-election victory diet included 28 eggs a week had me reading more than I normally would big news. She is said to have told an interviewer that she had "no special dieting regime." Her pocket diary, which was released by the Margaret Thatcher Archive Trust seems to have revealed otherwise. But don't we all sometimes like to keep others wondering? The Iron Lady's husband though gives it to us straight and cool. When asked "who wears the pants in this house?" He replied, "I do. And I also iron them." This anecdote is exactly what I thought of while my southeast asian ass err... blood was quivering in the London cold as I stood on this famous street. Then M...