Skip to main content

Mommy Moments: Grandparents Bonding

Cj met my parents the first time on webcam. I was happy to witness the look on their faces. They were first time grandparents. It was 2004. I could not go home because I was in the middle of gradschool. The plan was that my parents were coming to Bangkok for Cj's first birthday in May the next year. I was looking forward to our meeting. Then in January 2005 my father had a massive coronary. I had to change plans.
Things happened so drastically I didn't know what hit me. With my divorce raging, the pain of losing a father and the pressures of gradschool, I found myself running back home with my son. I've never appreciated my mother more than that time I had no one to turn to. I took this picture of them at Holy Garden Matutum Memorial Park months after the burial. I call this moment Cj's spiritual bonding with his grandpa.
Time to pray: this is Cj's church class. I made it a point that he was introduced to the faith of his elders while in the Philippines. Under the circumstances, Mama Lola is the best person to oversee just that.
And this was taken at a roadside cafe with Cj's paternal Khun Ya (grandma). She lost her husband to leukemia many years ago. Nowadays, we just show Cj photos of both his grandfathers.

Note: I have to edit my ex-FIL's cause of death. This morning I wrote car accident. Tonite I remembered it was leukemia. It was ex-MIL who figured in a car accident a month after the funeral. Sorry for the mix-up.

Comments

Willa said…
hay...the agony of living away from home..you never know what awaits you whenever the phone ring unexpectedly.
Chris said…
its sad that CJ didnt get to meet his grandpa... but at least grandma is still there.. thanks for sharing!
Sarah said…
Wow, that's great, though I felt bad about your situation. Are u still in Bangkok?
What do u do? Are you teaching there?
are u married to a khun Thai? sorry I have a lot of questions.
We're here in the south of Thailand, hope we can continually connect.

Here's my link:
http://sarahg26.blogspot.com/2009/05/mommy-moments-9.html
MoM from Manila said…
Grandma's are really angels on training!

my share:
http://momfrommanila.blogspot.com/2009/05/mommy-moments-gran
Meikah said…
You're a strong woman Haze. Kudos to you! These are lovely grandma photos, thanks for sharing them and your story. :)
Yami said…
Thanks for sharing your story with us. :)
Chubskulit Rose said…
whoa what a rocky road you took but Im sure your Papa is happy wherever he is now.. Your mom look so happy in this Pic..
Anya said…
What a lovely story,
and nice family shots :))

( Do not laugh,
I wear now a white t'shirt with Garfield on it...LOL
Is not age-related) ;)

Have a GREAT weekend :)
Karen said…
thanks for sharing! happy Mommy Moments
JonaBQ said…
there will really be times when we will look for the caring of our dear mother.

it's good your son and you still have a grandmother and a mother with you.

Popular posts from this blog

Watch out for the urchin

Friends and I went island-hopping last year. My phone was changing indications of where we were several times. Names are difficult to read, much less remember. The main island where we hopped from is called Koh Chang or Elephant island. We went to five islets each taking about 15 minutes to reach. In a stop one of my friends encountered a sea urchin. They say a pee would cure the sting. I don't know if it's true. Another thing I heard about urchins is they could sense and would crawl towards human presence. Probably for more prickly attention? Although sometimes paradise has a price, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, the weather perfect and the breeze was just what our city-dwelling lungs needed. All is well. *** My World Tuesday is brought to you by Klaus and the My World Team Sandy , Wren , Fishing Guy , Sylvia

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Pretentious Diet

Our Weekend Memoirs: Dieting on Eggs Please scroll down for Sunday Stealing The chinese guy selling noodles in front of 7 Eleven also sells eggs. I wanted to buy some but he was busy with his customers and I couldn't wait. Back in front of the pc, a recent report that Margaret Thatcher's pre-election victory diet included 28 eggs a week had me reading more than I normally would big news. She is said to have told an interviewer that she had "no special dieting regime." Her pocket diary, which was released by the Margaret Thatcher Archive Trust seems to have revealed otherwise. But don't we all sometimes like to keep others wondering? The Iron Lady's husband though gives it to us straight and cool. When asked "who wears the pants in this house?" He replied, "I do. And I also iron them." This anecdote is exactly what I thought of while my southeast asian ass err... blood was quivering in the London cold as I stood on this famous street. Then M...