Skip to main content

Weekend Snapshot: The AIDS Temple (Lopburi I)

It is sometimes referred to as the AIDS Museum, I tend to call it AIDS Temple. Descriptively it is a buddhist hospice for AIDS patients, the largest one in Thailand. Three of us, a friend, my son and I paid Wat (temple) Phrabat Nampu in Lopburi a visit last weekend. As it is where people with AIDS go to to die, most of what we saw are not exactly the ones I'm in a hurry to show off. But if you are curious, you may want to click on a post I did days ago. Anyway, on with shots that I don't think will give anyone a coronary:

100 steps to the wat


After the climb this is where you arrive at

"View from the top" - those are bare cornfields visitors pass by on their way to the temple

Side view of the Life Museum which ironically displays mummies

A usual sight around Thai temples

Bone sculptures

The temple bell

Life is beautiful. Most of us would prefer that of course. AIDS is also real.

Comments

Anonymous said…
what a nice place
Hazel said…
that's rather nicely odd mmm....
Karen said…
It's so wonderful. Hope to visit that place someday.
Enchie said…
fascinating...looks like an enchanting place. Very peaceful, and the color red is very inviting to the eyes.
Ebie said…
I have always admired their Architecture. And that's a lot of steps to climb(Huff & Puff). But I think, the price is so rewarding when you get to the top.
Willa said…
i want to try the 100 steps, that's a great excercise! :)
Juliana said…
Wow...looks great place to visit.

My WS entry this week : in HERE. I hope you have time to visit. Thanks
Carver said…
What a beautiful place and for such an important service to those with AIDS in need of hospice care. Great post.
Looks peaceful and solemn place ....
Mine is here http://whenmomtalks.com/2009/04/weekend-nature-trip.html
Dora said…
100 steps? Think my legs will ache when i reach the top! ;p
Anonymous said…
Beautiful photos and gorgeous colors.
mine is here
http://aguthrieimages.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/weekend-snapshotvasquez-rocks-natural-area-nature-center/
Hazel said…
@Karen and Juliana, try visiting! I can guarantee it's very interesting in there, albeit sad, but lots of education to experience.

@Enchie, peaceful is one fitting adjective for the place. And for the patients, I like to think they find inner peace before they leave this earth.

@Ebie, yeah long climb indeed. They keep the ashes of AIDS patients who died at the hospice in the shrine, so it's not just beauty on the outside that you see. You can also ponder on life while getting over the huff and puff, as you said :)

@Willa, I like the way you see what you can get for the climb. Very positive!

@Carver, I admit the place really sent my emotions flying in every direction. The visit made me appreciate life (mine at least) more.

@Dora, keep the legs on flat ground then ;p
marites1034 said…
What a beautiful place and it's good to know that people who are suffering from this dreaded place have this place to turn to.

My WS entry is up too.
SASSY MOM said…
That's a lovely temple. Love the architecture.
Looks like anyone who will visit will have a good cardio exercise. Mine is here.
khitara said…
Nice place. I wonder when will I visit a place like that. :)
Unknown said…
beautiful photos you have! it's a lovely place to spend your last days when you're sick.:D

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...