Skip to main content

Behold the Man



Yahoo Business listed books as some of the things you shouldn't buy brand new. I don't recall ever buying a second-hand book; thought I'd explore a used book shop down Sukhumvit this weekend. It's been awhile since I read any biography and these titles piqued my interest:

1. Samuel Beckett by Deirdre Blair
2. As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Lee Laurie
3. For Your Eyes Only: Ian Fleming & James Bond by Ben MacIntyre
4. J.K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter by Marc Shapiro
5. Jane Austen and Leisure by David Selwyn
6. His Eye is on the Sparrow by Ethel Waters
7. Into my own: the English Years of Robert Frost by John E. Walsh
8. Ecce Homo by Friedrich Nietzsche
9. All God's Dangers by Theodore Rosengarten
10. Karl Marx: a life by Francis Wheen
11. Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel
12. Leonardo da Vinci: heights of the mind by Charles Nicholl
13. Beginner's Guide to Winning the Nobel Prize by Peter Doherty (It doesn't sound like biography to me. I'll find out soon enough)

Visit the Thursday Thirteen home for more lists.

Comments

Anonymous said…
And to think I haven't read a one of them pffft. :) I need to get cracking :)
Erinjeany said…
Great list! I will have to check some of those out.

I buy MOST of my books used. My library actually does a bag of books deal with their withdrawn books. Everything you can fit for $2. You can't beat that deal! My son loves to go and pick out an entire bag for him and I can pick out a bag for me and we can go home and snuggle and read!

Happy Thursday!
Hazel said…
Thom, neither have I ... lol

ErinJeany, how lovely! I'm so waiting for the time I can do the same thing with and about my son and me when it comes to books and reading :)
Sheri said…
Great list; biographies are one of my favorite genres. I rarely buy books from the big stores these days; I either go to used bookstores or the libraries.
Unknown said…
I love the school book fairs. My one daughter is a major reader, and the $'s add up pretty quickly to keep her in books.
Never really been into reading biography's.
Happy reading and Happy T13!
Hazel said…
Sheri, there's a kind of charm in knowing what makes these great people tick, isn't there?

Adelle, that's just great about your daughter. I wouldn't mind working harder to keep my son in stuff like these. I hope he picks up the habit.
I am Harriet said…
I'm gonna get a few of those for Thom :)

Have a great day!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/07/what-type-of-accent-would-you-like-to-have-if-you-were-forced-to-change-yours/
Hazel said…
Harriet, give him no. 13 but don't tell him I said that :)))))
Kristen said…
I love used book stores. I never know what kind of treasures I will find. Actually, I buy at least half of my books used...if not more. I use the library a lot, too. Still, I love Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

It's been a while since I read a biography, do autobiographies count? I read George Burns' and Harry Truman's memoirs recently. Really interesting.
Hazel said…
Kriten, some of these are actually autobiographies (apparently :D). The used book shop listed them all under biography. Harry Truman's memoirs is on their collection as well. I've skimmed George Burns' too :) And I agree that you'll never know what kind of treasure you'll find. That's probably the strongest attraction for me this weekend in the shop.
Anonymous said…
I frequently buy my books used. It's a great way to find new authors. On the other hand, it's horrible for finding a specific book. You are at the mercy of what other's didn't want for their keeper shelves.
Heather said…
I don't usually care for biographies, but I do buy a good portion of my books at the library used book sale or at one of the local used book stores. I don't mind second-hand as long as they are in good condition. I always support authors I know by buying new when I can.
Hazel said…
Alice and Heather, thank you for your input
jillconyers said…
I hardly ever buy used books. I can rarely find what I'm looking for.
Hazel said…
Jill, that's precisely one reason why I haven't yet bought any second-hand book.
sherilee said…
What a great list. I love a good biography... I am not opposed to used books at all, but don't seek them out like I should... the Kindle and the ease of downloading is too appealing!
annies home said…
Thom cracks me up LOL

the truth is I do not normally buy used books but do love many of these titles. THe library has many of them and is free

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...