Skip to main content

Waxing classic

When I feel like passing out attacking terrene everyday-ness, I turn to classical music. These things dance in my mind as the first strain goes off:

1. film scores
2. those childhood piano lessons
3. Europe
4. killer essay exams
5. pregnancy and babies
6. orchestra
7. Math and Science
8. relaxation
9. plenary halls
10. qualitative research analysis
11. humming to self
12. appealing quaintness
13. being at peace with the world

What are your associations with classical music?

~ header from Samulli / click here for more T13 ~

Comments

Anonymous said…
Not a whole lot my friend. I don't listen to it hardly at all. Call me uncultured. LOL
Hazel said…
Hardly Thom :))) Classical is not the only mark of culture last time I checked
Indrani said…
Classical music is calming.
You have a whole range of thoughts... from pregnancy to technology. :)
Mariposa said…
I feel like I am somewhere in time!
Shelley Munro said…
I don't listen to much classical either, but I often associate it with commercials. A lot of commercials use classical music.
Hazel said…
Indrani, peels off some neurosis :D

Shelley, true. The Masters are doing the commercial industry great service long after they're gone.

Mariposa, it's probably one of the many things CM does to you, it's one of my faves too :)
Unknown said…
I don't listen to classical music. When I think of it, I picture a guy in a smoking jacket, holding a snifter of brandy, smoking a cigar in his library. lol
Happy T13!
colleen said…
It makes movie scenes play in my head!
Unknown said…
I used classical music to study to in High School and University. It brings me to a calm state. I love it!

Happy TT

Shasher's Life: 13 of my Nicknames
Mia Celeste said…
Music is a great gift. I find it inspires thoughts and emotions too.
Hazel said…
Adelle, I'll have just the library :D

colleen, on mine too :)

Shash, that's a good one

Brenda, oh yes, it's big on emotions
I am Harriet said…
There are a lot of connections between many of those.

Enjoy your Thursday!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/07/if-we-survive-the-heat-we-too-can-live-to-be-100/
soleil said…
Classical music associations for me go like this-Fur Elise, piano, piano competitions, Van Cliburn International. I have very fond memories of keeping up with the Van Cliburn by reading the paper religiously, listening to the broad livecasts on TCU radio and attending performances.
jillconyers said…
My first thought was driving home from work. That is the best way for me to go from psych-Jill to mom-Jill.
Kristen said…
After piano lessons, I'd have to say classical music reminds me of crazy conductors and Victor Borge.
Amanda Moore said…
I do love Classical music from Romeo and Juliette to the flight of the Bumble Bee and the William Tell Overture my selections are eclectic but I don't have the vivid association going through my mind just trying to follow the music accurately.
Great list for T13
My reply is here
http://moorebloglife.blog.com/2010/07/08/thursday-thirteen/
Hazel said…
Harriet, and the list could go on and on

jehara, fuer elise...yeah those piano lessons when we were kids. and Van Cliburn - I haven't thought of him in a long time

jill, that's just wonderful!

Kristen, oh the crazy conductors! and victor borge's still funny :D
classical is calming so is country!

Faux Pas not Funky

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...