Skip to main content

Incunabulum

What is your connotation of these words? I wrote mine under each definition.

1. ictus - stress in poetry and verse
My college English professor

2. iamb - poetic foot consisting of short then a long syllable
A scene from Dead Poets Society

3. iconomatic - using pictures to represent sounds of words
My great aunt's flash cards

4. iconophilism - a taste for pictures and symbols
Robert Langdon of Da Vinci Code fame

5. idyll - short verse or prose describing a picturesque scene or incident
 Christopher Marlowe's The Passionate Shepherd

6. ideoglossia - private language developed between children
My kiddo with his playmates

7. ideolect - distinctive individual form of speech
Lady Jane Fellowes giving a short reading during Diana's funeral at Westminster Abbey  

8. immortelle - everlasting dried flower
Those itchy-on-the-neck garland given to graduates; trend in the Philippines way way back
 
9. imperscriptible - not recorded; unwritten
A student's unturned-in homework

10. imprimatur - license to print a book
Printing presses

11.incunabulum - early printed book; early version of a thing
Visit to an antiquarian library

12. imsonic - onomatopoetic
Lord Alfred Tennyson's Now Sleeps the Crimson Petal, Now the White

13. illocution - an act which is performed by speaking words
Great Aunt Adelaide, Nanny McPhee: "If there's one thing I won't stand for, it's loose vowels!"



Interesting reference here
Megan and Janet host Thursday 13

Comments

Heather said…
Love your answer for number nine. Thanks for visiting!
Rekaya Gibson said…
I feel enlighten; I think. Perhaps I am sleepy. Thanks for sharing.

The Food Temptress
Took a study break and I learned so many new words! Great list!
The Gal Herself said…
My favorite: 10. imprimatur - license to print a book

To me, it sounds like IMPRINT, which is what the author/publisher are doing, on the paper and on our minds. It's a great word.
Sidne said…
Hi, checking out this TT by way of Rekaya blog. What a list of words. yes i did write them down too. lol
Unknown said…
I love 'new to me' words. Thanks for a great list. Happy T13!
Brenda said…
Ha! All of these are very funny. I like your connotations. Happy TT!


http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2011/09/apple-facts-that-might-surprise-you.html
CountryDew said…
This is incredibly clever! I love it! Well done.
I am Harriet said…
"i"nteresting. (lame, I know)


Have a great Thursday!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/09/about-the-nfl/
Xakara said…
Ah, #6...the memories that brings up. *grin*

Happy T13,

~Xakara
13 Fitness Gadgets
Anya said…
Hi Hazel

oopsssssss.....
its to diffecult for me :(
LOL
I am not so good with english words!!

Enjoy your sunday
hugs from us
Kareltje =^.^= Betsie >^.^<

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...