Skip to main content

Easy

I watch, I listen
it comes naturally
I get into the water
I kick and flip over
Dog paddle
and breast stroke
I gasp for air
and choke
When flutters the Butterfly
I might as well Crawl
and forget Freestyle
It sounds quite easy
But a stone sinks
very easily.

Easy on Sunday Scribblings
Poetry Pantry on Poets United

Comments

Jae Rose said…
What a delicately written piece..learning how to swim in this world is a tricky job..Jae
scape said…
i love the play with words...
and empathy with being a stone style swimmer
Sherri B. said…
This poem is about swimming, but yet it is not...it speaks to so much more than strokes in the water. Lovely!
PhotoDiction said…
You caught how I often feel in the water. I too, am a stone, destined to sink while my children seem to effortlessly float. I guess that's, in some ways, the way of progress. Or evolution ;)
Laura Maria said…
Love the last three lines!!
Anya said…
Lovely poem Hazel

hugs from us all
Anonymous said…
I really liked this, it was simply written but beautiful as well.
Ravenblack said…
A bit humorous when I picture it.I guess if one feels like a stone, it's very hard to be like a butterfly. Enjoyed this fun and light piece.
Hazel said…
@Ravenblack, I'm glad to learn I produce something humorous when I'm crazy. Almost everything around me has been insane recently. Wrote this piece gobbling up lunch and during a five-minute break at work yesterday.
Wendy said…
There are so many activities deemed easy. They should come naturally. For instance, I assumed all dogs could swim...until my dog nearly drowned the first time I took him out. There is danger in assumption, obviously :)
Swimming like a stone works for me. Sinking is easier than swimming. Great poem!
Ha ha, I can relate to this!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...