Skip to main content

Weekend Snapshot: I went to her wedding


Last night I was treated to lovely scenes of celebration and happy socializing. A co-teacher got married. I won't proceed to describe how stunning she is or how touching the speeches, as I guess beautiful weddings are always characterized by such details. While seated at reception I watched the morning ceremony on screen for evening guests:


Chairs were draped with yellow bows while pink dominated the backdrop. They are not motifs. They are significantly associated with Thai patriotism. In 2006 we all began wearing yellow shirts every Monday. Pink was the color His Majesty wore when he came out of the hospital months back. The royal tailor was quoted in a magazine I read earlier, "pink, i.e. 'in the pink of health.'" There isn't much fuss about color combinations here. Whatever color the king wears, the rest of the kingdom follows. We just watch what the monarchy wears, shop with that in mind and we never go wrong with what we wear. Besides, pink and yellow are the least of my worries. I was busy admiring the tall bride:


Buying a wedding gift could be frustrating. I received the invitation three weeks ago, but all I did was wonder what to give her until yesterday when time ran out and I crammed. I dragged my son to the mall and went looking for a gift. Three hours of walking and I still didn't find anything appropriate. My son was getting fidgety. He shrugged everytime I asked his opinion about an item; obviously bored with my indecisiveness. "Mommy, I want to go home," is a statement that means, "I'm bored" and I finally heard it. In a moment of intense frustration I thought of wrapping some of my china. But I don't want objects of beauty given away out of frustration. Panicking, I finally decided on this:


Cash, yes. It's convenient. No tired feet helplessly roaming around the mall. Frustration gone. Problem solved. I took the cue from my own wedding a hundred years ago in which I didn't see a single ribboned box. So I handed this envelope to the gift attendants, and took shots of some of the flowers nearby:


Bouquet - throwing was completely altered. Most of the ladies who rushed to the front are very much married. Some even had their kids cheering behind them. I almost fell off my chair laughing. They asked me if I wanted to try catching. Nah... I sat and did what I could with half of the nine-course meal that was left untouched..

Comments

Anonymous said…
hello..was her zel...makita ra nako ang imong post....perfect!
SandyCarlson said…
A beautiful time! I hope they will be happy.
Carver said…
What a beautiful bride. Great shots of the joyous time.
Anonymous said…
She look beautiful! Looks like a nice wedding.
perfectly shot,great photos!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...