Skip to main content

TT: Straight from the heart

G.B. Stern says, "silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone." I agree. Keeping mum with your thanks is tasteless. I admit I have been sometimes guilty of what I have just described. I am attempting to redress that silence, and henceforth try to be more specific and regular in expressing gratitude for my blessings.

The following are what I am thankful for this week:

  • my cold is gone! (I sooo hated it) it disappeared before I could even pop the second pill
  • the fun of discovering new avenues to express myself and for the nice people I met and will meet in blogosphere

  • the thrill of interacting with my son through baseball and Japanese cuisine

I am grateful that my Cj is well past his tantrums over weekend commutes between me and his dad. And I'm certainly not complaining that ex-hub takes care of Cj's major expenses. My other baby, Mozart (my spoiled rotten canine who had to be flown home as the final casualty of my divorce) is in good hands with Grandma Philippines. Eventhough the cheeky furball is not exactly with me, phones and internet are right down my fingertips to bridge the gap. I am so pleased too for developing a more sensible attitude towards fashion and for the triumph of resisting the urge to shop unnecessarily.

My not-very-long-ago past has been pure rock n' roll. In particular 1993, 1998, and 2005 were psychologically devastating, emotionally crippling, socially turbulent, spiritually impoverished years. I was virtually a zombie. If ever I was functioning it was way below mediocre. My issues were holding me back and I was very unhappy. In all frail humanity, there had to be a guiding superpower for me to have survived.

Looking back I realize that the Creator in His grace was seeing me through despite the fact that I willfully made resoundingly bad decisions. When I finally dropped down on my knees and acknowledged that I can't make it on my own, I felt better. It's 2009. I can't believe I'm still alive and actually feel that my life has just began. Never has the word "free" been so energizing. Free to start anew! and I had better think and behave better this time. For the learning experiences of the intervening years and specially for a fabulously beautiful 2006 - yeah God gave me that despite the strong-headedness; (sheepishly grinning like a spoiled brat) I'm thankful to the heavens straight from the bottom of my heart. And that's no drama. Just plain, raw fact.

Comments

Genefaith said…
wow...I'm mesmerized with your testimony...great list of things to be thankful for...wala pa ko kapost..manlaba pako..he..he..see you later...
Hazel said…
my lifestyle hasn't killed me yet, and i have a feeling that with a more grateful attitude, things would just get better and better :)
Debra Kaye said…
What a thankful heart you have! I'm blessed by it today!
Denise said…
I am glad you are feeling better.
Laurie Ann said…
Glad your cold went away so quickly. Happy Thankful Thursday!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...