Skip to main content

Bananas and concubines

What did Thailand's King Narai and Israel's King Solomon have in common?

After exploring King Narai's throne hall, I made my way to the living quarters of his women. My mind was prepared for large, cavernous remains; half-expecting a dusty, out-of-tune grand in the midst. I was both surprised and disappointed. The place looked like a row of classrooms. Ah well, they were minor wives. A Hanging Gardens of Babylon replica, no matter how skeletal it's imagined to be, was too much digression. The renovation at some parts nudged me all the more back to the present.

But not for long. Towards the end of and opposite the quarters I found something I have never seen before:

Could King Narai's concubines be as numerous as these?

My outdated camera went bananas...
The entire bunch looks bent on lengthening down. Stretch, blossom, wither to the ground. Take my kiss back to Mother Earth, will you?

See more worlds at
brought to you by the MyWorld team:
Klaus Sandy Wren Fishing Guy Sylvia

Comments

Hazel: That is truly amazing, a whole lot of fruit.
Anonymous said…
My goodness. What a find. It's amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Photo Cache said…
Holy cow! what kind of banana produces that much fruit at one time :D

My entry is at http://ewok1993.wordpress.com
Rajesh said…
Beautiful shots. That is very huge, never seen anything like this before.
Ebie said…
Pssst... I love your title post. Hehehehe!I wonder what kind of fertilizer they use, and what if they ripen at the same time? And look at those blossoms, they're growing at the bottom?
This is sure one special banana specie. Good one, Hazel!
Carver said…
Wow, that's amazing. I've never seen anything like it.
Anya said…
Wow!!
Never seen such a banana tree
looks very funny :-)
I 'm just eating a banana ..... LOL(its the truth !!)

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...