Skip to main content

Thursday Thirteen: Bold Numbers

Header from Samulli
A compilation of notable numbers from a 2006 issue of the Reader's Digest, BK, a local Bangkok Magazine and last night's Yahoo online news for today's T13 post:

1. An individual human face is capable of more than 10,000 combinations of expressions

2. Approximately 300,000 lunch boxes were served to the Opening and Closing Ceremony volunteers during the 15th Asian Games in Doha

3. Frenchwoman Jeanne Calment reached 122 years before she died; the longest verified life span ever

4. Parents of young children lose 200 hours of sleep in a year

5. A 15-minute brisk walk will burn 100 calories

6. A person shot in the heart can still have 10 to 15 seconds of purposeful action before the brain starts running out of oxygen to function

7. There are about 3 million shipwrecks lying on the ocean floor

8. An executive who compliments, doesn't challenge and does favors for his CEO has a 64% chance of landing a promotion and ending up on the board of directors

9. There are an estimated 70,000 deaths as a result of the 25-year long Sri Lankan civil war

10. Chinese authorities closed down 1,250 pornographic websites in January 2009

11. Indian woman Anandita Dutta Tamuly, ate 51 ghost chillis (the world's spiciest) in 2 minutes in an attempt to get into the Guinness World Records

12. An estimated 400 snakes, mostly cobras and vipers have infested a police station in the town of Gerihun in Sierra Leone (Yahoo news)

13. And in Thailand, filmmaker and anti-drunk driving campaigner Nonzee Nimibutr was found with 300 milligrams of alcohol level in his blood when he was arrested by police for drink driving (the legal limit is 50 mg)

Play Thursday Thirteen here.

Comments

Chris said…
great post! :D i didnt know that i lose 200 hours of sleep :P
Unknown said…
Interesting Trivia. Happy T13!
yyam said…
Great list of interesting facts. Some of which I didn't know... 3,6,7 & 9. Thanks for sharing.
OH MY GODDDDDDDDD!!!

so much of info!!

Happy TT

http://2short2sweet.blogspot.com/2009/06/my-rights-to-living-life.html
Carleen said…
Wow, living to be 122 doesn't sound like fun to me! You've got some really interesting facts here.

Happy Thursday to you. :)
Anya said…
Interesting post ;)
So many facts !!
Have a nice Thursday ....
Mia Celeste said…
Wow, very interesting numbers. Who would think a person can make 10,000 different expressions. Hmm. Happy TT!
I am Harriet said…
I'm sure you right- especially on the sleep thing.

http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/06/13-best-places-to-live-in-usthursday-13.html
Ingrid said…
Very interesting, I wonder if I reach 10 thousand facial expressions. I should start counting tomorrow, just to make sure, lol !
Chelle said…
Number 12 gives me the heebie-jeebie for sure.
jeng said…
I couldn't agree more with #4 : ) Happy T13! Mine's here http://jengspeaks.blogspot.com/2009/06/thursday-thirteen-weddings.html
Genefaith said…
this is very informative! you're good in numbers sis..he..he..

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...