Skip to main content

My haunted brain


In the spirit of the halloween season spooky does it. Or the beauty of language does. I am positively terrified by images conjured and emotions evoked by grave poetry. Rhymes bury boredom. Meeting words not used in common conversation charms me. With a witch's gait in my head, I roamed cyberspace and filled my HP cauldron with passages from poems of 13 literary greats:

1. Halloween by Robert Burns (1785)
Upon that night, when fairies light On Cassilis Downans dance, Or owre the lays, in splendid blaze, On sprightly coursers prance; Or for Colean the rout is ta’en, Beneath the moon’s pale beams; There, up the Cove, to stray an’ rove, Amang the rocks and streams

2. Ulalume: A Ballad by Edgar Allan Poe (1847)
And now, as the night was senescent,

And star-dials pointed to morn —
As the star-dials hinted of morn —
At the end of our path a liquescent
And nebulous lustre was born

3. The Hag by Robert Herrick (1648)
A Thorn or a Burr, She takes for a Spurre:
With a lash of a Bramble she rides now, Through Brakes and through Bryars, O’re Ditches, and Mires, She followes the Spirit that guides now.

4. Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti (1862)
Morning and evening, Maids heard the goblins cry:
“Come buy our orchard fruits, Come buy, come buy:
Apples and quinces, Lemons and oranges,
Plump unpecked cherries, Melons and raspberries

5. Sonnet 100 by Lord Brooke Fulke Greville (1633)
Gives vain alarums to the inward sense,
Where fear stirred up with witty tyranny,
Confounds all powers, and thorough self-offense,
Doth forge and raise impossibility:

6. Darkness by George Gordon, Lord Byron (1816)
Unknowing who he was upon whose brow
Famine had written Fiend. The world was void,
The populous and the powerful was a lump,
Seasonless, herbless, treeless, manless, lifeless—

7. Act IV, Scene I of Macbeth by Shakespeare (1606)
Sliver’d in the moon’s eclipse; Nose of Turk, and Tartar’s lips
Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble. Something wicked this way comes!

8. ... Jack the Journeyman by William Butler Yeats
I know, although when looks meet,
I tremble to the bone,
The more I leave the door unlatched, the sooner love is gone, For love is but a skein unwound, Between the dark and dawn.

9. Ghost House by Robert Burns
I DWELL in a lonely house I know
That vanished many a summer ago,
And left no trace but the cellar walls,
And a cellar in which the daylight falls,
And the purple-stemmed wild raspberries grow.

10. ... Chamber to be Haunted by Emily Dickenson
One need not be a chamber to be haunted, One need not be a house; The brain has corridors surpassing Material place.

11. Dialogue Between Ghost and Priest by Sylvia Plath
In voice furred with frost, Ghost said to priest:
'Neither of those countries do I frequent: Earth is my haunt.'

12. The House With Nobody In It by Joyce Kilmer
Whenever I go to Suffern along the Erie track
I never go by the empty house without stopping and looking back, Yet it hurts me to look at the crumbling roof and the shutters fallen apart, For I can't help thinking the poor old house is a house with a broken heart

13. Socrates Ghost by Delmore Schwartz
The mechanical whims of appetite
Are all that I have of conscious choice,
The butterfly caged in eclectic light
Is my only day in the world's great night,


1 - 7 source: About.com: Poetry
8 - 13 source:
Ghost Stories

~ header from Samulli / click here for more lists ~

Comments

Jayne d'Arcy said…
This was really great. It introduced some poets I'd never heard of. However, Ullalume is still my favorite just for the beauty of the language.
Anonymous said…
How do you do it my friend. These are excellent. I love #10 It's the bomb :) Happy Halloween to you and CJ :)
Chubskulit Rose said…
Happy halloween sis... I thought the one I have been commenting a while ago was this week's TT wahhhh last week pa pala yun..
Barbara said…
These are hauntingly good.
Have a great Thursday.
I am Harriet said…
Wow- wonderful list!

Have a great Thursday!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/10/did-you-know-that-scariest-part-of.html
You should join us on Monday for Monday Mayhem.
colleen said…
One of these is in my 13 title this week, but I played with it. It's the same poem I remember having to memorize in school and mostly wondering WTH it meant.
XoXo said…
Hahah...ka alegre ba gud ani uy. Nalingaw ko kay sa atoa kay wala man mga ingani sah? dako kaayo nga selebrasyon ning Halloween, sa atoa kay All Soul's Day.
Alice Audrey said…
I like your own poetic waxing as much as what you've listed.
Chris said…
interesting! :D
Tracie Nall said…
Great idea! Some of these I had heard before, but a couple of them were new!

Happy Thursday Thirteen!
Anya said…
Happy Halloween Hazel :)
(I thought it was oct 31th
in The Netherlands is no Halloween
:(
Timely list ;-)
Happy Halloween to you to!
Hugs and blessings,
Ebie said…
Very interesting collection! I don't know which one to pick for my favorite! Hahaha, ugma mag costume mi sa office! I will post some pix unya.
Amanda Moore said…
7 is an obvious classic well known and liked but I found number 2 haunting I have always liked Poe but this was new to me and I enjoyed it. Happy Thursday!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...