Skip to main content

Sweet Treats


Today I join
Small Talk Six!, a Saturday meme on Mom Blogs at Momdot. KARENC, the host says, "since weekends are generally a little slower around the blogosphere, we thought this would be a great way to have a quick, fun, interactive meme.... You can respond to each topic with a list of 6 words, 6 phrases, 6 sentences, 6 paragraphs, or 6 photos."

STS topics really are very interesting. I relate with most. I've been wanting to join so join now I do. This Saturday's topic is 6 of your favorite sweet treats in the whole world. Blimey, I got lots but I'll stick to the rule of course, and here are my fave sweets:

1. leche flan (custard)
* I love the brownish version

2. moist fruit cake
* If it comes from Shangri-La, it's heaven

3. durian almond icecream
* The smell of durian is controversial, but when it becomes icecream, especially when it's made by Bonito (Italian), it's addicting. (just a personal opinion)


4. macaroon
*I like it a bit dark on top :)

5. crumpet
* I instantly fell in love with this English delight the first time I ate it. Perhaps eating it in the shadow of that Lake District castle added to the yummy magic


6. halo-halo with a scoop of purple yam icecream
~ (halo, tagalog word for mix) is a popular filipino dessert. It's a mixture of shaved ice, condensed or evaporated milk and a wide variety of ingredients. There's no specific recipe for this dessert, but I love the one with plenty of sugar palm fruit, macapuno (freak coconut), tapioca pearls, avocado, candied jackfruit, roasted pinipig (pounded immature rice)

"This dessert exemplifies the "east-meets-west" culture of the Filipinos, with the ingredients used coming from a wide variety of influences (to cite some examples: red mung beans which are from the Chinese, garbanzos from the Indians, leche flan from the Spaniards, and shaved ice itself, which was introduced to the islands by the Americans." (source)

source

Comments

Great list , hope you have a great weekend !
Anonymous said…
OMG No. 6 I want some :) Great list :)
I am Harriet said…
Yum- you've got good taste.


Have a great Saturday!

http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/10/when-you-were-young-what-did-you-want.html
great list!! happy Saturday!
Daenel T. said…
Delish list! Have a Happy Saturday!
Tammy said…
I like macaroon's too. Yummy.
Nice to meet you too. The crumpets and back droup sound so nice.
Anonymous said…
Another interesting list. Crumpets sound YUMMY.
simply_unique said…
Great list!! Have a great weekend!!
Hazel said…
Lisa, thanks, and thanks for being the first visitor on this post

Help yourself, Thom. Or will I send it via email? :-)

Tammy, we got the same taste there :-)

simply unique, thanks, you too.

Lucy and elliej, i do love crumpets

Harriet, Sarah, Daenel, happy yummy Saturday to you too

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...