Skip to main content

The Maya

It has been raining cats and dogs almost all week. I mentioned to the ex how boring it was to be drenched everytime I go to his house to fetch Cj during weekends. He offered me his other car. I promptly refused. When it poured again and I got soaked again, I realized that sometimes swallowing your pride is better than pneumonia. Ok, I should be thankful it's just rain and not landslide. I could hear the lapping of water underneath the taxi yesterday, but to think that our neighbors were subjected to the quaking of the earth recently, there are really lots to feel blessed for, like:

1. Being on (yes, paid) leave. They say if you have a roof above your head and a job, you are luckier than millions of people. I am grateful for such a blessing and

2. forgetting the cares of work for five days. What bliss!

3. Time with Cj. It's the best thing about my leave or any free days I have. He gets a break from his usual schooldays companion, his nanny, and I get to do my duties as a mom. I took him shopping for our five-day holiday provision and let him decide what to eat, making sure we were in the healthy food section at the same time. He had no choice actually but to pick veggies and fruits

4. Our rainbow diet. A Reader's Digest health article suggests a way of knowing your diet is nutritionally complete is to check that your food has all the colors in it. During yesterday's shopping we loaded the cart with kidney beans, beef, tomatoes, capsicum (red); papaya, eggs, ginger, squash (yellow); okra, mango, apple, spinach, bokchoy, lettuce (green); rice, shitake (brown); eggplant, onions (purple); carrot (orange) oats, fish (white), pepper (black). It's difficult to keep up with this kind of diet in the midst of work. So I took advantage of the holiday. I didn't see salmon. It would have been nice for pink.

5. The maya. Construction noise from the rising condo opposite our street is gone. Peace and quiet came with a treat: a chirping maya. I was netsurfing when I heard it. It perched on the AC machine for a few seconds and flew away. I placed a plate of jasmine rice and a saucer of mineral water on the porch. While waiting for it to come back I walked down 7 Eleven to buy it a pack of roasted pumpkin seeds. If it does, I'm giving it a name :-)

~ Visit Susanne of Living to Tell the Story for more faves ~

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nothing better than paid leave and time with CJ. That diet sounds like a good one. I'm not much for sticking with the program though. Glad the construction is done. Have a great Friday :)
Alison said…
It is so true...these days everyone is trying to cut back here and there (us included). We are truly thankful that my hubby has a job and we have a roof over our heads.

I've never heard of the rainbow diet before. Next shopping trip, I'm going to have to try to be sure to buy all the colors!

Great Five!
Willow said…
Yes, we can all be thankful for food, shelter, and water, and the resources to purchase them.

What a wonderful week with CJ. I'm glad you had paid leave and quality time with him.

I'll check my shopping basket for a rainbow next time I shop!

Have a great weekend, with less rain and no mudslides.
annies home said…
nothing better than paid leave
Lisa notes... said…
Glad you've had some time off. Yes, a wonderful blessing. Your rainbow diet sounds so healthy and diverse.
Melli said…
Sounds like a wonderful week in the making! Mmmmm... maybe some grapefruit for pink??? (of course, if that fails you can have strawberry CAKE! LOL!) Oh yea... we were trying to stay healthy... :)
RA said…
Lucky you :)! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. The rainbow diet is very interesting. Have a great week ahead
Barbara H. said…
Sounds like a great week, especially time off and time with CJ doing Mom stuff. The visit from the maya sounds neat -- hope it comes back.
Susanne said…
My mouth is watering with your rainbow colored foods. Yummy.

Time off to be a momma is the best. Enjoy it to the max!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...