Skip to main content

A new haunt


About six weekends ago I took Cj and myself to an art and culture centre right in the heart of Bangkok. It was basically to introduce the little guy to his country's (one of many) showcases of arts and culture, both local and international.


Mid-section of the entire building seen from all floors: it's where visitors find info on arts and cultural shows, announcements or schedules of opera, ballet, concerts, lectures, fashion, international artists presentations, film festivals

Black and white photos of the Thai monarchs' travels abroad as well as of visits to Thailand by other heads of states

Thai jewelry from the olden times

*sigh* I'm no photographer; can't get rid of the flash. Anyhow, if you noticed the reflection, they're of edifices around the area of Thailand's top university, Chulalongkorn


Masks. Kindly bear with the orb.

Cj's fave: the revolving three-headed elephant


These are a few of what we have seen. The place is 25,000 sq. m. and has 2 basements and 11 stories. We've only just begun exploring, and I'm sooo loving it already. Those replicas of strange but beautiful architecture from around the world are a visual feast. And I haven't hung out yet in the library (heaven!).


We haven't been to the galleries on the 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th floors. The first time we visited there was a violin concert on the 7th floor; but Cj wanted to spend time on the Woman & Mother gallery (this kid's got some fixation on boobs). And guess what's the best thing about all these -- except for the shops, restaurants and cafes, everything else is free.

~Our Weekend Memoirs is brought to you by Ebie and Arlene~

Comments

Inday said…
Thai is one of those colourful cultures in Asia!

Beautiful captures and I think there is something in the camera setting that we both need to work on.

am just being impatient... with mine.
Willa said…
A trip to museum is always fun and I wish all kids have all the chance to do so. The museum you visited is so beautiful!
MsRay said…
Beautiful! I am reminded of my trip to Thailand several years ago.
Ebie said…
This is one huge building! I would concentrate in everything that glitter! My weakness, the gold jewelries!
Indrani said…
I could not see this place, I am glad I got glimpses here in your blog. Bangkok is a beautiful city. If luck permits I will visit Thailand again. :)
EJ said…
I love the three headed elephant and the masks!
ryliej said…
Wow what a great experience for you and CJ sis...
Anonymous said…
Those are just stunning photos and what a place to visit. A fixation on boobs..too funny :)
Hazel said…
Wahahaha Thom, you notice everything. I knew you would LOL!
Anya said…
Its amazing Hazel
I wish I could see it with my on eyes !!!
To far for visiting a museum ;)
LOL
Chris said…
wow, nice post.. love it! wish to see and travel there someday!
Arlene said…
Am interested of the jewelries. they don't look ancient. hehehe

Been to a museum last Sunday too and it's a nice thing to know more the roots of a place.

My entry is some of the photos i took in the summit, zel!

P Tuesday!
sleigh beds said…
All photos are very nice and i like most the Three headed Elephant.
A trip to museum is always fun and I wish all kids have all the chance to do so. I love all these things. The museum you visited is very beautiful.

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...