Skip to main content

A Chance and Class of 1988

Friday's Fave Five: A Second Chance
Please scroll down for Friday Photo Flashback

This week has been a lot better than last week. One significant thing led to another. I'm happy about and grateful for:

a second chance
It looks like it is and I consider it to be so after a mistake I made on these anti-virus programs wiped out all my pictures. Most of those I label "precious" haven't been sent to email or stored in a flash drive or posted on any social network site. Everything vanished. I tried hard to be cheerful and carried on but the loss was such a nasty cloud over me last week that I grew two canker sores. Then I worked again on restoring them but without expecting anything anymore. Tweaking and hoping I tried these hidden files that warn you not to open them or your other files would be messed up. I had nothing else left to lose anyway so I risked it. Alas! there they were! The saying "you value a thing when you lose it" had never taken a more distinct meaning. It taught me a few lessons as well: always have back-up and don't take things for granted.

a place to stay
I was getting worried that it's already mid-March and we haven't booked a hotel in Hong Kong yet. Finally we have. I acknowledge Chette's searching prowess. The place she found is not just new with a good price value. It's also in the midst of everything we need and want to do.

Alice in Wonderland
It's a beautiful film and I enjoyed watching it.

Shirts and blouses that fit
I just love it when I go shopping in a large mall and I find what I want right on the spot. I get to go home quickly.

Chat about a cat
Meet Kareltje, one of blogosphere's most famous felines. When I headed over virtually to the Netherlands to say hi to Anya (Kareltje's human Mom), CJ was watching video clips on another window. We talked --


CJ: (digressing from youtube) Mommy, Garfew?
Me: (on an impulse to correct) Garfield, Baby Pooh. But it's Kareltje ... (and wishing to evaluate the correction) ... who's that?
CJ: Orange!
Me: What is Kareltje doing?
CJ: Circle!
Me: How does a cat sound?
CJ: Karew fat!

It's either a situation that heralds the need for audio-visual comprehension overhaul or the influence of these Baby Einsten Art DVDs or something I have no idea about. So much for a master's in Communication.

Thank you, Anya for letting me use Kareltje's photos.

Share what you love about your week with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story.

**********

Friday Photo Flashback: Matutum View Academy, Class of 1988
Please scroll up for Friday's Fave Five

There's Vivian, there's Daisy, George, Heartwell, Norman, and I'll try to remember the rest later. This was taken on a Friday afternoon after beautifying our class garden; most probably why we were not wearing our uniform. That's our homeroom adviser, Mr. Israel Tigley, grinning in the middle front row :-) Most of these classmates are on Facebook. Some of them may recognize themselves after the tags. (Guess the pic will enlarge when clicked on)


Share your old photos with Alicia at More Than Words.

Comments

How FUN that some of them are on facebook! I bet they'll love to see this photo!
Anonymous said…
What a cool picture. Very nice :) I like the cat conversation too good :). Lucky you found your pictures. Ooo Disneyland next month? Best get on that. LOL. Great week. Oh and green beer tasted like beer with green food coloring. LOL. Go figure LOL
More Than Words said…
School pictures like these are always treasures!!!!
Anya said…
LOL
one of blogosphere's most famous felines hahahaha......

meow..meow..
Yes CJ I'm to fat :(
meowwwwww....

He is sitting next to me
(with a catsnack hahahahaha....
he eats it always when I drink coffee oooppssss... DIET :(
Thanks for all Hazel
Lovely post today !!!!

Do not forget sunday
the big day :(
LOL
Carrie said…
Oh yay! I'm glad you found a hotel, and recovered your pictures, and got to see Alice in Wonderland! We want to see it. Hopefully we can soon.

Hope you have a great weekend filled with blessings.
ellen b. said…
So glad for you that you were able to recover those photos! I know it would make me sad to lose mine...
Have a wonderful weekend.
Anonymous said…
I am so glad you found your photos!! That reminds me I need to back mine up -- it has been a while since I did.

Fun conversation about the cat!

I'm looking forward to seeing Alice at some point.
TXDidi said…
Oh, I feel your pain about the lost photos. I lost all of my digitally stored photos last year when my external hard drive crashed. Luckily I had already scrapbooked most of those pictures but no longer have digital copies. Now I double-backup everything.
Susanne said…
My heart just dropped for you reading #1. I am soooo glad that you found them and had courage to open those Do Not Open files.

Very cute cat. The conversation with CJ was funny. Karew fat cracked me right up.
Hope you have lots and lots of fun in Hong Kong! Great photo flashback too! I immediately spotted your advisor's smile as soon as I looked at your photo. Looks like you had lots of fun that day :o)

Blessings & Aloha!
What a great second chance with those pictures...and a cute cat!

Glad this week was better for you than last.

Here's to a great weekend.
ellen b. said…
Sorry Hazel...wordpress was sending all your comments to spam. I retrieved one. Every so often I have to remember to check my spam folder to see if any genuine comments are there...
Robin said…
I'm so glad you got your photos back. I have a friend who says, "It's not a matter of "if" your hard drive is going to crash, it's a a matter of "when" it's going to happen... make sure you back up". It's a great reminder.

Have a great weekend.

p.s. check out the giveaway on my blog
Lisa notes... said…
Oh, I am SO glad to hear you got your pictures back! I would have been very disturbed about that, too. It pained me to even read about it. Enjoy your weekend!
Sunshinelene said…
the class pic looks like taken in mvc, zel! nice diay kaayo inyong lugar didto ba. never been there but hope to visit someday!

dimple is now a part of class 2010. :) some ofher grad pics are posted in 2 of my blogs. more to be posted in her blog.

Arlene
http://www.midlifedancing.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...