Skip to main content

Firft in Englifh, of ancient liberty

My reading pile is still a pile - book reviews, press releases, SEO pieces, but TGIF! I'm putting them all aside to have a look back at my week. Which to be honest has been a bit bumpy as far as work is concerned. Thank goodness there's personal life to run to and where we have better control over the happiness meter. I took my own sweet time enjoying life's little pleasures --

1. Cousin weekend. Being an only child, the closest person I have to a sister is cousin Vi. Her young sons are well-behaved, loving, brainy and they call me Auntie :-) Meals and chatter with them are quadruple the fun. I love them even more for agreeing to stay at home while Vi and I went shopping at a night bazaar.

2. Camera. When a hesitant techno-ignoramus finally approaches features on a gadget, the result is fun galore. This is Milton's justification of the blank verse of Paradise Lost. The literary legend used f for s, a strange character for c and so on. I found it fascinating.

3. Silent beauty. To avoid harmful rays, I walk behind the guard house to the office and back. The path is dark, but I know a secret. This:


4. Lanzones. Two kilos for ฿50.00 ($1.70). They're great on the taste buds after drinking morning coffee.

5. Croaking at the top of my voice: for He's more wonderful than my mind can conceive, He's more wonderful than my heart can believe! He goes beyond my highest hopes and fondest dreams....

Two cleaners peeped, "Ajarn Mae?" I thought the hallway was completely empty. Ah well, they would never know that only half an hour before my solo concert I was dealing with a psychological attack in the vice president's office.

Visit Susanne @ Living to Tell the Story for more faves.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Busted!!! LOL What are lanzones? Never heard of them. Nothing better than family time. :). Great week and great photos. :)
Melissa said…
Sounds like a good week, aside from the work parts.

Like Thom, I'd never heard of lanzones. According to Wikipedia they taste like a cross between grapes and grapefruit, but without the bitterness (unless you eat the seeds). Is that accurate?

Have a blessed weekend!
Hazel said…
Thom, lanzones taste is a blend of sweet and sour. They probably grow only in tropical countries. They're in season now :D
Hazel said…
Melissa, it sounds accurate but grapes and grapefruit - that is kinda new to me. Lanzones does taste like grapefruit, just keep away from the seed.
Ingrid said…
I just wanted to ask the same question as Thom, when I saw your answer ! Never saw them either they look like potatoes, lol !
Carrie said…
I've never heard of Lanzones! Hmm.

I LOVE that Sandy Patti song! I'd forgotten about it.

Have a great weekend!
Hazel said…
Gattina, you're right - they've got the color of potatoes lol!

Carrie, neither have I heard exporting of this fruit to the West. Thus maybe that's why
Lisa notes... said…
I love your secret. Well worth walking in the dark. I’ve never had a lanzone. Looks interesting. What a lovely fave five.
Hazel said…
Thank you, Lisa. I smiled that you love my secret :)
Susanne said…
Sometimes a gal just has to sing out loud, whether for joy or to be strengthened, whether someone is there or not! :v)

I'm not opposite of you, I grew up with a sister but no cousins living in the same country. I missed not having that part of family life.
Willow said…
LOL! Did the cleaners think you had the radio on ?? And the next question is--were you dancing like no one was watching? :)

Isn't it great to have a sister/cousin?! (I have one too, for the same reason--no sisters, not going to the night bazaar).

Enjoy your weekend! (and I love your little secret too)
I love that song!

Have a great week.
Hazel said…
Susanne, that's very true!
Hazel said…
Willow, the cleaners might have called security if they saw me dancing on top of all that croaking, LOL!
Hazel said…
Thanks, Laura
Hazel said…
Brenda, you might want to try the oriental market in your area. These fruits could be exported there.

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...