"No matter how harsh or inhospitable a place is, there's always someone who's willing to live there" - of Africa's Namib Desert on Animals are Beautiful People
It's a 90-minute nature documentary that my five-year old loves to watch repeatedly. As I work around while the kiddo focuses on the entertainment, I pick up snippets of Jamie Uys's hilarious narration, ie. "the chameleon may be the only creature whose left eye doesn't know what his right eye is doing." There are interesting bird names such as Go-away and Secretary. See which of these 13 (from the more than thirteen featured) animals you remember or like from this 1974 film:
1. Oryx, 'the most beautiful of all antelopes, always manages to look sleek and well-fed. Perhaps because man finds the Namib so intimidating he hardly ever ventures there. But to the Oryx the hostile desert is paradise'
3. Weaver bird, 'the condominiums they build come with a variety of architectural styles'
6.Gemsbok Wikipedia photo
7. Warthog, 'so ugly he's beautiful'
9. Anteater, 'a tired medieval knight in armor'
10. Impala Wikipedia photo
11. Hyena, 'the trash collector who lives off leftovers of lions'Wikipedia photo
12. Ratel (Honey Badger)