Skip to main content

The Russell Group

Lately I have been roaming the net for necessities to get cracking on some change. These are 13 (out of 20) Russell Group Universities, Britain's equivalent of America's Ivy League. The presence on the list of two of our planet's academic elites is not meant to sound ambitious. Funding is what I had to have a look at all of them for. Their mottos in latin, the 11th in welsh, exude old-world charm.

1 University of Sheffield
Rerum cognoscere causas
To discover the causes of things

2 University of Leeds

Et augibitur scientia
Knowledge will be increased

3 University of Manchester
Cognitio, Sapentia, Humanitas
Knowledge, Wisdon, Humanity

4 University of Birmingham
Per Adua Ad Alta
Through efforts to high things

5 University of Southampton
Strenuis Ardua Cedunt
The heights yeild to endeavor

6 University of Nottingham
Sapentia urbs conditur
A city is built on wisdom

7 University of Bristol
Vim promovet insitam
Learning promotes one's innate power

8 University of Glasgow

Via Veritas vita
The way, the truth, the life

9 University of Liverpool
Haec otia studia fovent
These days of peace foster learning

10 University College London, University of London
Cuncti adsint meritaeque expectent praemia palmae
Let all come who by merit deserve the most reward

11 University of Cardiff

Gwirionedd Undod A chytgord
Truth Unity Harmony

12 University of Oxford
Dominos Illuminatio Mea
The Lord is my light

13 University of Cambridge
Hinc Lucem et pocola sacra
From here light and sacred draughts
~ header from Samulli / click here for more lists ~

Comments

Alice Audrey said…
Interesting how often education is associated with heights.
Heather said…
Some enlightening and (hopefully for the students) inspiring mottos. My alma mater's is "Christo et Litteris (For Christ and Learning)" -- the school is affiliated with the Presbyterian church, though it bills itself as "ecumenical."

My post is here
i beati said…
#7 great one sandy
Hootin Anni said…
Yep, I would have to agree with Alice in her comment above ....heights and education mix well with future visions of success.

My Thursday Thirteen is posted now...if you'd like to stop by...it's 13 'plays on words' that make you wonder....stop by if you have a chance. Click Here Then, scroll down below my Thursday Thunks Meme....Have a great day.
Anya said…
Hey we are happy you are back !!!!
And with a very interesting post
:-)
orneryswife said…
Fascinating! It makes me think that I might need to find a Latin motto for my own life! What a great list, and I wish you the best in your endeavors toward new heights in learning. May all your financial needs be met and your learning net you tools to reach your dreams!
tm
Happy TT!!
Mia Celeste said…
It's cool to see what Universities pick for their mottos. Happy TT!
Chris said…
interesting... i always learn something new with your posts!

my post is up!
Calico Crazy said…
Funny but they just sound better in Latin, nothing like a dead language to give something mystique. ~ Calico Contemplations
I'm with Alice. Associating education with height certainly creates a class structure -- I'd always thought it was finances that set it. But maybe not so much.
Heather said…
Yes, I know I already posted, but read your comment on my blog about wishing they had a 24/7 Christmas station where you are, and wanted to let you know you can listen to "my" station online if interested: WOLX FM.
Happy Christmas!
Unknown said…
Very interesting. Happy T13!
storyteller said…
Fascinating idea for a T13 ... interesting mottos associated with each. Good luck finding funding! I've shared T-13s at Happily Retired Gal and Sacred Ruminations this week ... just because.
Hugs and blessings,
annies home said…
learn something new every day ver interesting list
Kristen said…
Good luck in your endeavors. I hope you are able to accomplish what you would like.
Unknown said…
very educational and entertaining T13 this week, I wish I could have finished college...now I just hope to see my kids go to college which is not far off at all.
I hope you'll visit my Thursday Thirteens at The Cafe & The Library.
Amanda Moore said…
this is a great list of schools, good luck with the choice/funding.

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...