Skip to main content

Friday's fave five: Showers to the soul

View more FFF participants at Living to Tell the Story


It's been a lovely week. These are my faves:

1. A blossom and rainy afternoons. Everytime it rains and I'm alone in my room, I am reminded of home. My parents and I would gather in the living room to chat and play scrabble. Our audience are our cats and dogs. The one who loses in the game prepares the snack which usually consists of either popcorn or boiled banana with lemonade or hot chocolate. I don't have those now. But I still get rainy afternoons that bring me back cozy memories. On my way to work this week I found something that resembles the origin of those banana snacks long ago:

2. Hair Saloon. I haven't been to the saloon in a few weeks although it's part of my weekly routine. I love how light my hair feels on my head everytime I get my hair professionally shampooed and ironed.

3. Errands done in one go. Mozart, my 6-year old is spending indefinite vacation with grandma in the Philippines. Each month I send him his allowance. To do that I have to go to the bank. That and paying the phone and internet bills are something I don't get accomplished in one go and it's getting really tiresome. Recently I found a bank located along the same route as the ISP office and the mall where I pay my phone bill. That's quite a relief!


4. Three free days and I spent them all indoors despite earlier plans to peek at some malls. I am proud of chores done: toppled 50% of the perrenial laundry, disinfected the bathroom and scrubbed the porch. The Jackson memorial made me realize it was my first time to cry since 2005. Alfred Austin says tears are the summer showers to the soul. I think that was the biggest benefit of my staycation.

5. Lots of mushroom and cheese in my spaghetti. I made this while blogging. The best part is my son helped me eat it.


Have a great weekend, everyone!

Comments

Hopie said…
What a beautiful flower! I think it's nice to have such happy memories of your childhood.
Anonymous said…
Wow that spaghetti looks great! Sounds like you got A LOT done during your three free days! :)
Jacris said…
Hi again thank you for adding me in your blogroll list.I really do appreciate it I will add ur links also have a lovely weekend =)
Suburban Girl said…
A lovely week...nothing to complain about there!
Anya said…
I love the spaghetti,
I think i go make it now :)
Enjoy your free days ....
hugs to all
Kareltje =^.^=
Anya :)
Susanne said…
I have to say I have never heard of boiled banana. Sounds interesting.

It's always great to have a few days off and accomplish what you wanted to get done. And yay for finding a bank closer so that you can get everything done together.
Karyn said…
happy memories from childhood are always a blessing. Salon visits are good for making you feel beautiful - always worthy of a blessing list - glad you got to go again.

Wow! first time you cried in 4 years?! That's amazing. Hope the tears you cried this week were cleansing.
Jerralea said…
I love going to the salon, too. I always think I need a new lipstick if I get my hair done!

I love days at home catching up on projects. Glad you got to enjoy three of them.
nikkipolani said…
Hmmm. Boiled banana -- with anything else? Your rainy afternoons sounded lovely. And isn't it wonderful to find an easy way to pay bills?
Chris said…
happy friday!

got an award for you at http://www.mommyjourney.com/2009/07/awards-to-brighten-your-weekend.html
Barbara H. said…
I love finding ways of consolidating tasks and days at home to get lots done. What a neat childhood memory!
Willow said…
Lovely childhood memory. Scrabble and rain.

I love consolidating errands and chores! I'm glad you found ways to do both.

Have a great weekend.
Jennifer said…
Thanks for stopping by my blog! Love the pictures!
Pamela said…
What a great list - it's interesting to see how different things are in our two parts of the world.

I hope Mozart enjoys his vacation!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...