Skip to main content

That's My World Tuesday: Our tomorrow, your today


Unlike most tours that visit the Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum towards the end of the day, our tour went to this place in the morning to avoid clashing traffic with loads of other tourists and the overcrowded train that passes the bridge over the River Kwai at sunset.


This museum is co-sponsored by the Thai and Australian governments to commemorate the suffering of those involved in the construction of the railway. It was opened by the then Prime Minister of Australia, John Howard. As a part of the museum experience, it is possible to walk through the cutting itself and along a section of the former railway track bed. An audio tour including recorded memories of surviving POWs is available at the museum.

Far, wide and deep view from the museum:

Hellfire Pass is the name of a railway cutting, famed for its cost in life, on the Death Railway in Thailand, known by the Japanese as Konyu cutting. It was built in World War II, in part by POWs. Work by torchlight at night gave the pass its name.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellfire_Pass

This is part of the Pass we walked on during the tour:

The path to the Konyu cutting from the museum above - of course now they have made it easy for tourists:

A plaque attached to the 'wall' of the Pass:
It's something comforting to read after hearing the guide's description of the terrible work condition that happened there. I love this part:
  • "These doctors provided leadership, helped alleviate pain and suffering and above all gave reason to live when all real hope seemed lost. To them we all give thanks. When you go home, tell them of us and say we gave our tomorrow for your today."
View more places at That's My World Tuesday.

Comments

L. Neusiedler said…
an interesting trip you prepared for today! but I have to say that maybe, before building memorials, people should avoid hurting each other, for whatever reason...
Hazel said…
To Lara, here's hoping we all learn from the past.
Reader Wil said…
Having been a POW myself at the age of 9, I am always interested in stories about the Burma railway. Good post Hazel.
Chubskulit Rose said…
Hello there Hazel ! We got back since Sunday but wasn't able to visit blogs till now. They got sick (diarrhea) except me. We actually brought our son to the hospital today because he is fevered (still is till now.).

I would like to thank you all for the wonderful and encouraging words you said and left at my blogs. For the sympathy and prayers, and for those who shared their blessings to the family! May God bless you all for your compassionate hearts!
Anya said…
Lovely post Hazel !!
Interesting and lovely shots :)
Its beautiful your world ....
Eleanor said…
A very moving tribute to those who suffered in such terrible ways. We so easily forget - my post is also about the war dead.
PS I love your boys!
ninja said…
I had no idea about this place. Thanks for introducing it.
Guy D said…
Excellent post Hazel, thanks for sharing.

Have a great week.
Guy
Regina In Pictures
Wolynski said…
Bridge on the River Kwai - now this brings back memories of the film. Never knew they had a memorial - lovely post.
A very poignant post.
Louise said…
Very nice post. Can't imagine what it must have been like to build that.
Lew said…
About 40 years ago I saw a movie about the building of the bridge over the River Kwai. Thanks for showing us this WW-II place.
Jenn said…
Such heroes, these doctors. Thanks for the very interesting post.
Janie said…
Thanks for sharing that interesting bit of history and bringing it to life with your photos.
Ebie said…
There's always a soft part of me about this part of a country's history. The memorial is so be fitting.

Popular posts from this blog

Watch out for the urchin

Friends and I went island-hopping last year. My phone was changing indications of where we were several times. Names are difficult to read, much less remember. The main island where we hopped from is called Koh Chang or Elephant island. We went to five islets each taking about 15 minutes to reach. In a stop one of my friends encountered a sea urchin. They say a pee would cure the sting. I don't know if it's true. Another thing I heard about urchins is they could sense and would crawl towards human presence. Probably for more prickly attention? Although sometimes paradise has a price, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, the weather perfect and the breeze was just what our city-dwelling lungs needed. All is well. *** My World Tuesday is brought to you by Klaus and the My World Team Sandy , Wren , Fishing Guy , Sylvia

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Pretentious Diet

Our Weekend Memoirs: Dieting on Eggs Please scroll down for Sunday Stealing The chinese guy selling noodles in front of 7 Eleven also sells eggs. I wanted to buy some but he was busy with his customers and I couldn't wait. Back in front of the pc, a recent report that Margaret Thatcher's pre-election victory diet included 28 eggs a week had me reading more than I normally would big news. She is said to have told an interviewer that she had "no special dieting regime." Her pocket diary, which was released by the Margaret Thatcher Archive Trust seems to have revealed otherwise. But don't we all sometimes like to keep others wondering? The Iron Lady's husband though gives it to us straight and cool. When asked "who wears the pants in this house?" He replied, "I do. And I also iron them." This anecdote is exactly what I thought of while my southeast asian ass err... blood was quivering in the London cold as I stood on this famous street. Then M...