Skip to main content

A Muggle's Musing



An advice circulates, 'do not judge a movie by its book.' In a book lover's blog is a little reversal of nouns in the same advice - 'do not judge a book by its movie.' I read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince shortly after its release in 2005. A few weeks before the film was due, I read the book again purely for entertainment. And as I read it once more this week I find a different kind of appeal with a more reflective approach on its magical contents and what seem to be their counterparts in the muggle world.

Before I wax enumerative, I must say I love Samulli's header from the T13 home, thank you very much. Hmm... that was obvious - a fan that I am of Rowling's genius. Okay, no more further incantations. These are a muggle's 13 musings:

1. The Other Minister - imagine you are premier of your country discussing issues with your wizard counterpart.... Perhaps we can fancy the others for bridges collapsing, the H1N1 flu, or future pestilence.


2. "You don't pay here," was the Weasley twins' instructions to Harry who gave them his Triwizard Tournament prize galleons to start up their shop, Weasleys Wizard Wheezes. Wizards also practice debt of gratitude, don't they?

3. "Cough up," said the Weasley twins to their younger brother Ron who was gathering his choice of goods from the shelves. I agree that just because you're a brother of the owners doesn't mean you get stuff for free. Many a muggle business is ruined because blood relations or close friends take advantage of or even abuse business dealings. There are instances where we get a job we're not qualified to do because Uncle is the CEO or Grandma is the mayor. Will some wizard draw his wand and blast off nepotism from muggle culture?

4. Guaranteed ten-second pimple vanisher - and I just vanished from a dinner appointment because of break-outs. Botox, lasers, IPLs, you name them, aside from being costly, take time to administer with results coming out in the next full moon

5. Extendable ears - gossips would probably line up to purchase them if they were sold at Tesco or Walmart (lol). Do you wonder what's the counterpart of extendable ears used in our world to scan private emails or confidential info?

6. Harry and Narcisa Malfoy's exchange of words - if this part was in the film I hope it will have shown teenagers how to talk back to adults fairly. In some cultures, and you may be aware of them, the young are expected to bow their heads and keep their mouth shut while adults abuse them verbally. These adults appear to deem tongue-lashing their privilege and it's disrespectful of the youth to talk back even if it's done politely and within the bounds of reason. This is one facet I don't like, nor agree with in a hierarchical society. I'm going to have a coronary if I have to go on without freedom of speech.

7. Slug Club - Have you had a professor like Horace Slughorn? He reminds me of a professor who, in that boarding school I attended, was known in hush-hush tones as a collector of students who are either rich or popular or brainy or talented. They were called Miranda's Angels and were usually the ones seen on stage, or making up the editorial staff of the school publications. (I'm not complaining though as I didn't have to gate-crash like Malfoy *sheepish smile*)

8. Potions Book - Harry changed the cover of the Half-Blood Prince's old potions book with the cover of his new copy. In highschool my classmates used to cover Mills & Boon paperbacks with A4 and write "The New Testament" on its front. It was their
Bible during long, boring sermons in church.

9. Secrecy Sensors - non-magic folk have metal detectors, body scanners or K9's to name a few

10. Veela's wedding - I wish they portrayed Fleur's wedding in the film. We are used to stunning brides; I am curious how a veela would look in wedding garb. She must be bewitchingly beautiful.

12. Levicorpus - the previous weeks two of my T13 were about non-verbal communication. Muggles wave, wink, bow or beckon. Wizards dangle upside-down in mid-air when a non-verbal spell is used on them.

13. Quidditch and Felix Felicis - football and anabolic steroids
(?)

Click on the T13 link to play.

Comments

Janet said…
that was a great 13 :-) It's always nice to 'meet' another Harry Potter fan!
Chris said…
interesting! though i am not a fan of harry potter so i can't relate much... :(

mine is up!
Alice Audrey said…
Plenty of people have blasted nepotism off of places like within the government. Most of the rest I don't mind letting ride.
JO said…
sorry, can't relate.

Mine's up.
ooooooohhh Harry Potter fan are we :)

Hapy TT

Click Here For My Thursday-13
I am Harriet said…
Guess I know everything now :)
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/07/thirteen-richest-americans-and-some.html
Hootin Anni said…
Once again, excellent job for your 13.

I played ...come on over if you can find time to visit with me. I'd love your company. Happy Thursday.
colleen said…
Are Harry and friends getting all grown up and getting married?
'My classmates used to cover a Mills & Boon paperback with A4 and write "The New Testament" on its front. It was their Bible during long, boring sermons in church.' - LOL! Good plan!
Kewl list! You make me want to revisit the Harry Potter series ... just because.
Hugs and blessings,
I'm not so sure I want to see the movie, to be honest. The books... oh, I can't say it. Janet will dis-know me for life!
Unknown said…
LOL I'll have to get my daughter to translate all this Potter Talk. Fun list. Happy T13!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...