Skip to main content

Decor, decor on the wall

... tell me which bloom is the fairest of all.

The fall of the Berlin Wall in November 1989 was a major event in modern history. This week CNN replays US President Ronald Reagan's famous challenge, "Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall." The anniversary got me reminiscing on that field trip to Central Mindanao University museum where I saw a piece of the Berlin Wall. The piece was a bit wider in circumference of an old Philippine peso coin. It looked extremely ordinary that if not for it's historical significance, I wouldn't have stared at it longer than ten seconds.

Thousands of miles away from Germany, a wall is not torn down but decorated. It's the entrance wall of an apartment on Sukhumvit Road in the Bangkok Metropolitan area. I don't know if it's coincidence that the staff beautified it around the Berlin Wall anniversary. Below are some snapshots of the wall, and while I'm at it I think I may as well accompany them with quotes that involve walls.

“Information is the oxygen of the modern age. It seeps through the walls topped by barbed wire, it wafts across the electrified borders.”
~ Ronald Reagan


“There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.”
~ Ronald Reagan



"All things on earth point home in old October; sailors to sea, travellers to walls and fences, hunters to field and hollow and the long voice of the hounds, the lover to the love he has forsaken” ~ Thomas Wolfe


"Home" is any four walls that enclose the right person”
~ Helen Rowland

“If one cannot state a matter clearly enough so that even an intelligent twelve-year-old can understand it, one should remain within the cloistered walls of the university and laboratory until one gets a better grasp of one's subject matter”
~ Margaret Mead

“A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.”
~ C.S.Lewis


“In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it.”
~ Michelangelo


“This indictment of Christianity I will write on all walls, wherever there are walls - I have letters to make even the blind see” ~Friedrich Nietzsche

This one makes me feel cozy. I just have to share it:

“May you always have walls for the winds, a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire, laughter to cheer you, those you love near you and all your heart might desire.”
~ Irish Blessings

Source: Thinkexist

~brought to you by Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise ~

Comments

Sylvia K said…
Marvelous, beautiful shots and very inspiring quotes! Lovely post! Thanks for sharing!

Have a great week!

Sylvia
Maurice Lauher said…
Thanks for sharing your world. The quotes were great.
Anonymous said…
You out did yourself in this one my friend. It is wonderful and I love the quotes as well :)
LadyFi said…
Great photos and inspiring quotations!
Dirkjogt said…
This is realy nice decorated, enjoyed it very much
Reader Wil said…
Beautiful flowers and great quotes! Thank you for mentioning Mr.Gorbachev,for I am a great admirer of his. What he had done at the time was impressive. Thanks to him the cold war was ended.
Al said…
Very inspiring quotes, Hazel. I watched the history of the Berlin just yesterday and I felt sad for the people of Germany and happy after all.
Anya said…
Wow!!
Hazel its a beautiful post today so many flowers and so fantastic quotes :))))
Anya said…
Wow!!
Hazel its a beautiful post today so many flowers and so fantastic quotes :))))
Carver said…
What a wonderful post. Inspiring.
My name is Riet said…
What a beautiful post. LOve it all, the quotes, the flowers
Ebie said…
Those are beautiful mums,with accompanying quotes, and coincidentally I went to the Mum and Ikebana show over the weekend!

the tearing down of the wall is a part of history that we will always remember.
Oman said…
awesome shot, i can't pick my favorite coz everything is colorful and sharp . thanks for sharing. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...