Skip to main content

Chuck off the routine!

With just a handful of natural exceptions, i.e. an exotic wedding, a nasty divorce and a son to live for, my twelve-year stay in Thailand has been routinely work - home - work - home - repeat. I have had enough. That said I am making some changes. From a bachelor's degree in Education to a master's in Communication, I mull over a doctorate in Anthropology. Midlife crisis or a tap on the concept of self-reinvention: either way I'm still too keen on the holidays to determine it yet. Seriously I only want something that is NOT boring. A few years of it then I'm ready to get back to the grind. So... things I am looking forward to in 2010 --

I.
Positive application result from a university of my choice

II. Securing a plausible research methodology


III.
Systematic data-gathering, hopefully a painless process of analyzing finds

IV.
Fulfilling my Disneyland promise to my five-year old, and

V. Getting him home to my mother for better care

VI. Executing plans I, II, III, IV and V smoothly

KarenC hosts Head over to Momdot for more STS or to join

Comments

Anonymous said…
WOW...a PhD...crap I'm going to have to get better with my talking habits and knowledge base to keep up with you. I think this is a wonderful goal with one minor little exception. And that's your subject choice. i for one find that boring boring boring. But hey, that's why we are all different and that's what makes the world go round. I'm very proud of you for wanting to do this and now...I can hear it already...damn...I have homework LOL LOL Oh geeze..maybe too much eggnog today...PS...I'd go for my PhD in the Walt Disney School of Fun and Magic :)
Hazel said…
LOL... Thom, why didn't I think of a PhD in Fun and Magic??? I must be this bored to mull over Anthro rofl... send some eggnog my way... I might come up with something less neurotic lol!
Wow, what a year of wonderful things to look forward to! I wish you the best in all and the PH.D
Hazel said…
When an 'angel' wishes you the best, that sounds like there are more chances to getting all these done. Thanks, Angel :)
Ebie said…
This looks like a very promising year 2010!
Haz, I simply admire your determination and continuous search for higher education. I quit after my 2 years in law school. Kapoy na, and I think, my brain is all rusted now.
Good luck and the best of the New Year!
P.S. After dozes of antibiotic and cough syrup, though dizzy at times, I feel better now.
Maayong pasko ug bag ong tuig. Saya unta ug naay nanulindaw nga binisaya!

Enjoy the rest of the holidays!
Anonymous said…
You are killing my here...Less neurotic LOL...too funny. Hey, maybe we can both go get our PhD's from WDSF&M ya think?
Hazel said…
Ate Ebie, I didn't know you got sick. I'm glad you're feeling better now. Sayang 2 years nalang unta no? Ako kung abuton hala eskwela, kung di pud na magyaka ra nyahahahah!....

Thom, i.e. we'll be classmates? ok if you let me copy the homework LOL!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...