Skip to main content

Wrapping up 2009

Following someone's midsjudgment of moves on what was supposed to be intense ass-kicking in an Austrian divorce court, I am staying put in Thailand for the rest of 2009. To make up for the cancelled Europe trip, I made sure I had fun right where I was. And I had it in abundance. This week's T13 is a summary of activities that tie up my year:

1 - socialized at a wedding


2 - rode on a submarine


3 - checked out my son's school


4 - discovered that there's more to Sin City Pattaya than just bars and whores


5 - dreamed about making wishes come true (Disney on Ice)


6 - braved a macabre showroom filled with mummified bodies of AIDS patients

7 - travelled back in time (ruins of the French ambassador's mansion in Lopburi)


8 - welcomed the birth of a cousin's daughter


9 - visited an arts and culture centre

10 - threw a party for my son's 5th birthday but bought the wrong cake; he sulked and I ended up promising him Disneyland next year

11 - accomplished requirements to hold license to teach

12 - frolicked with and fed a school of fish (Namtok Pleu National Park)

13 - and as part of celebrating Christmas, I went to a concert mainly to hear I'll Never Love This Way Again live and to see how Dionne Warwick would sing That's What Friends Are For without Elton John, Stevie Wonder and Gladys Knight; the legend's son David took care of the parts well, and she charmed Bangkokians with Chestnuts roasting...

Merry Christmas, my lovely bloggy friends!

~ header by Samulli / more Thursday Thirteen here ~

Comments

Heather said…
Sounds like you had a fun and adventurous year! Here's to much more in 2010!

My Post
Mia Celeste said…
Hazel,
All those pictures look like such fun! It makes me want to visit you. :) Merry Christmas!
Hazel said…
Thanks, Heather. YAY to 2010!

Come visit, Brenda :) You'll have loads of fun.
Shelley Munro said…
It sounds as if you had an interesting year. The fish feeding looks like fun. Do they feel ticklish?
Anonymous said…
What a fantastic year you had my dear sweet friend. Oooo Disneyland next year...perhaps a stop in Honolulu? :) Have a very Merry Christmas my friend and CJ too :)
i beati said…
pretty full year I'd say sandy
Hazel said…
Shelley, yes they do :-)

Thom, it will be in neighboring Hongkong, but maybe one day we would go visit the US of A :)

sandy, thanks, yes it is.
Hazel, I'm coming to visit you, too. I don't fully get the Austrian divorce comment, but it looks like you're making some very very sweet lemonade there. Keep it up!
Chris said…
Merry Christmas to you :D
Hazel said…
Susan, it will be fun! about the Austrian bit - I did my best to make that lemonade as sweet as it could be.
orneryswife said…
Merry Christmas to you. What a fun and adventurous life you have lived this month! Now, I think I would have to pass on the mummified AIDS victims, though. ;)
Happy TT!!
tm
storyteller said…
Love your illustrated '13' today ... great way to end the year! Wishing you a Joyous Holiday!
Hugs and blessings,

My T13 is at Small Reflections this week.
colleen said…
Staying put is fun! Love the visual tour. Merry Christmas to you!
Andi said…
Wow, you accomplished more in one list that I did all decade!

Have a very Merry Christmas!
Anonymous said…
oh *smiles with a sad face* LOL Maybe one of these days :)
Maria M. said…
Looks like you had a very interesting year.
I am Harriet said…
You've had an exciting year!

Have a wonderful Holiday!

http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/12/have-happy-merry-and-more.html
Hazel said…
Chris, merry christmas to you too.

Ornery's wife, the AIDS bit although somewhat depressing was a very good learning experience, and I had fun thinking that I learned some raw reality in that place

storyteller, thanks. Merry christmas to you

colleen, I'm glad you liked the visual tour. Merry christmas

Andi, lol... things happen :-)

Thom, yeah, maybe one of these days :)

Wild Woman, I'm happy 2009 turned out to be interesting after all

Harriet, very! A wonderful holiday to you too.

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...