Skip to main content

Loudest hands

Trophies, guns, ballerinas, free days and pom poms characterize my week. It's good to glean faves:

1. The blessing of being oblivious. I knew there was danger but had no idea how grave the situation was. A group of juvenile thugs attempted to attack our students. Seven billboards were reduced to smithereens when the attackers found they couldn't penetrate the gates. Although I understood something was terribly wrong when our students tried to scale the walls to retaliate, my limited Thai prevented me from knowing that the aggressors were actually carrying guns thus sparing me the trauma.

2. A student who did well. He belongs to the Changs, known as the problem bunch. Two terms ago he approached me with a long, fresh stitch on his belly asking permission to sit the exams. I cut him some slack not because he nearly died in that riot where he got stabbed but because despite his tough hide I notice he has potential. There was no need for extra lecture. I went non-verbal and looked him in the eye, "prove yourself worthy of a passing grade or I take it back." Then at the Wednesday awards my eyebrows clashed above my gaping mouth when I saw him go up on stage and receive a trophy for winning a tech competition. My hands were probably the loudest in the applause.

3. Ballrooom dancing. Ever so gracefully a pair of students interpreted Whitney Houston's I Wanna Run to You. It was beautiful.

STech Games 2009

4. The cheerleading squad. They got the three Bs. I'm at my best teaching them.

5. Today there are no classes, woot! While writing this, I'm deliberately semi-starving myself :) In a few minutes I'll be at my favorite Japanese restaurant eating all I want. Then I'm gonna watch Christmas Carol, buy tickets to Dionne Warwick's concert and proceed to ex-hubster's house to fetch CJ.

~ Visit Susanne @ Living to Tell the Story for more faves ~

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a fantastic week my friend. :) You should be mighty proud of #2...And don't starve too much...OOOH Have fun at Dionne Warwick...maybe she'll finally find the way to San Jose :) hmmm. Have a wonderful Friday :)
Hazel said…
Thom, my main motivation for watching Dionne Warwick is "I Know I'll Never Love This Way Again" ! WOOT!
Anya said…
Nice week you had Hazel :-)
Have fun tonight on your concert!!
I hope the food was yummie.....
Susanne said…
#1 sounds very scary! So glad you were all right!

The joy and pride you have in teaching your students is so evident in the way you speak of them!

I'm so glad it's Friday too. Have a great weekend with your little guy.

Linked you up!
Hazel said…
Anya, thanks. Concert will be on the 20th :)
Carrie said…
Woah! You had something of an amazing (and diverse!) week there! Hopefully your weekend is a little calmer (i.e., no guns!). =)

Merry Christmas!
Willow said…
Yikes! The guns remind me of my years living and teaching in Los Angeles where gunshots were a regular sound in the neighborhood. I hope your students don't take the problem on outside the school.

It sounds like you have had a full but satisfying week. Hurray for #2~
Melli said…
Ohhhhhhhhh I LOVE it when a "bad" kid turns good!!! That is soooooo cool! I hope he turns out to really make something of himself! I'm lifting him in prayer!

It really was quite a week you had! Have fun with CJ!
Lisa notes... said…
Yikes. How scary # 1 sounds! I'm glad that all turned out okay. Yes, it is a blessing to be oblivious sometimes.

You sound like such an encouraging teacher. Such a blessing! Have a great weekend; looks like you've got a lot going on.
Brenda said…
Sounds like you had a frightening moment when the people tried to overtake your school. I am glad you are OK! But today sounds like a better day. Enjoy your japanese food!
Jerralea said…
Seeing a student turn around must be the pinnacle of being a teacher! I'm so happy for him!

I'm a little late coming by so you've already eaten your Japanese food. Hope it was delicious!

Have a great "rest of the weekend!"
Kari said…
I love it when students step up and prove themselves!
wow, so many emotions in one week.
hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

The Hunchback of Abella

A Duet When I was about 8 years old, I sang Something's Happened to Daddy in church. My father was not a church-goer so the guy I sang with was my mother's friend's husband. Papa keeps coming to my mind these days. January is the month he was felled by a massive coronary. Next week on the 14th is the anniversary of his death. The only times he ever set foot in church were during weddings and funerals of family and friends. I remember him being present in church eagerly when I was a flower girl at an aunt's wedding. Finally he entered church one more time. At his own funeral. I made sure church was the very place he went to before the cemetery. I only wished he was the one I sang with. Amy hosts head over to Signs, Miracles and Wonders for more music or to join ************************************ Guns n' Roses and the Hunchback of Abella My childhood was what can most likely be called normal. There was a balance of happy and sad memories. Today's

Sense and Sensibility: 200th anniversary

In 1811 Thomas Egerton of Whitehall, London published Sense and Sensibility . Quick math shows it has been two centuries since Jane Austen became a full-fledged author. Quite an anniversary, indeed. A celebration, I declare . Blogs regarding the publication anniversary of this romance novel picture Jane Austen 's engagements whilst making the final touches of her manuscript from Sloane Street. In letters to her sister Cassandra, Jane gave accounts of her shopping for muslin, the party that their brother Henry and SIL Eliza gave; mentioned several acquaintances, and referred to her book as S and S . As a fan I wonder which between sense and sensibility did JA deem more important since she portrayed both attributes equally well. I'm obliged to enthuse over my S & S reading experience. Alas, I only managed fourteen chapters before getting sidetracked by another novel, the very first that JA wrote. I will resume and complete my affair with the celebrant before 2011 end

Thirteen 13-word Quotes

1. I may be wrong , but I have never found deserting friends conciliates enemies. Margot Asquith , British Political Hostess (1864-1945) 2. Man's love is of man's life a thing apart; Girls aren't like that Kingsley Amis , English novelist and poet (1922-1995) "A Book Idyll" ~ see possible origin, also a 13- word quote: M an's love is of man's life a thing apart, 'Tis woman's whole existence Lord Byron (1788-1824) 3. An autobiography is an obituary in serial form with the last instalment missing. Quentin Crisp , English writer The Naked Civil Servant (1968) 4. Happy the hare at morning for she cannot read the hunter's waking thoughts. W.H. Auden , English poet (1907-73) Dog Beneath the Skin 5. Kissenger brought peace to Vietnam the same way Napoleon brought peace to Europe. (by losing) Joseph Heller, American novelist (1923- ) 6. Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give; Gas smells awful; You might as well live. Dorothy Parker ,