Skip to main content

Time with significant others

This week's STS topic: 6 things you love or hate about spending time with your or your significant others relatives had me thinking of none others but my former in-laws. I still have the memories and I thought it would be healthy to breathe those feelings (in written form) out at last. But then since it's that time of year I'll go easy on the negative; balance them with what I love and don't like about spending time with them and my own significant others:

I. We don't speak the same language :( When they're over at our place I feel like an outsider in my own home. Once the then hubster told me my piano playing was interrupting their conversation. Let's just say I must have been playing that badly, or I wasn't playing at all but making noise in my own living room.

II. In fairness, ex-hubster's siblings and cousins are generally nice. They try to interact with me. I appreciate their effort. I enjoyed the education I got from observing their way of life. They portray cultural stuff discussed in books well.

III. MIL is a devoted grandma to my son, and even my poodle. She pampered my boys and that was ok with me.

IV. Sometimes there's too much analysis of human nature in my family. That's euphemism for gossiping :(

V. I love the food and bonding during reunions. I enjoy seeing my cousins' kids all growing up fast, and hearing about their progress in school or at their jobs.

VI. BIL's influence and generosity. We have similar interests on intellectual entertainment. I loved the discoveries from what he shares with us. I cherish the fun of those all-expenses-paid weekends at beachside luxury hotels and constant marvelling into his world. A nice, handsome, scientist - isn't he the perfect BIL? WOOT! Happy christmas, ex-bro :)

~ Visit KarenC @ Momdot for more STS ~

Comments

Lisa Samples said…
Must be hard not being able to communicate with everyone. Great list.
I am Harriet said…
Love the gossiping thing.
As far as the piano playing thing goes- they were probably jealous.


Have a great Saturday!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/12/when-is-last-time-you-rode-bus.html
Momma Chick said…
Gossiping runs rampant at our parties as well. Gets out of hand at times.
Kelly said…
nice list. Sounds like you have good in-laws (or is it ex in-laws) either way makes life easier
Anonymous said…
Great list my friend. Family can be a pain in the ass sometimes LOL Gotta love 'em though :)
I love how you put "analysis of human nature" LOL. Great list.
kasandria said…
I can't imagine not being part of the conversation. It would drive me NUTS,
Kas
Shan G said…
Not being able to communicate with them and being made to feel like an outsider in your own home sucks.

I would have laid down the law, but that's just me. LOL
Hazel said…
Lisa, it certainly is :(

Harriet, thanks for verbalizing an idea that's been in my head for too long :-)

butterfly, oh you have it too lol... seriously, gossiping creates gaps among my family members. that's what I don't like about the whole thing :(

Kelly, they're exes

Thom, PITA - how right! rofl...

Princess, thanks :-)

Kas, I mustn't have been complaining. I was suffering in silence lol

babyrocasmama, it freaking sucks. big blow to a marriage that's been fragile from the start
Candace said…
I don't have any good bro in laws. My bro in law is just as stuck up as my sister!
Love your list! I too hate the gossiping. It puts everyone on edge and then everyone wonders if everyone is talking about them too.

Hate it!
Anonymous said…
Great list! Gossiping seems to be in all family get togethers.

http://mud-bug.com/2009/12/small-talk-six-family/

Popular posts from this blog

Watch out for the urchin

Friends and I went island-hopping last year. My phone was changing indications of where we were several times. Names are difficult to read, much less remember. The main island where we hopped from is called Koh Chang or Elephant island. We went to five islets each taking about 15 minutes to reach. In a stop one of my friends encountered a sea urchin. They say a pee would cure the sting. I don't know if it's true. Another thing I heard about urchins is they could sense and would crawl towards human presence. Probably for more prickly attention? Although sometimes paradise has a price, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, the weather perfect and the breeze was just what our city-dwelling lungs needed. All is well. *** My World Tuesday is brought to you by Klaus and the My World Team Sandy , Wren , Fishing Guy , Sylvia

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Pretentious Diet

Our Weekend Memoirs: Dieting on Eggs Please scroll down for Sunday Stealing The chinese guy selling noodles in front of 7 Eleven also sells eggs. I wanted to buy some but he was busy with his customers and I couldn't wait. Back in front of the pc, a recent report that Margaret Thatcher's pre-election victory diet included 28 eggs a week had me reading more than I normally would big news. She is said to have told an interviewer that she had "no special dieting regime." Her pocket diary, which was released by the Margaret Thatcher Archive Trust seems to have revealed otherwise. But don't we all sometimes like to keep others wondering? The Iron Lady's husband though gives it to us straight and cool. When asked "who wears the pants in this house?" He replied, "I do. And I also iron them." This anecdote is exactly what I thought of while my southeast asian ass err... blood was quivering in the London cold as I stood on this famous street. Then M...