Skip to main content

Palimpsest


Bucolic is listed on Dr Goodword's alphaDictionary as one of the most beautiful words in English. I typed it on google images and as I strayed, like I usually allow myself to when leisurely searching, I was led to words that reflect concepts appealing to me:



1. eclogue
2. denouement

3. cynosure
4. pianoforte

5. palimpsest
6. onomatopoeia

7. riparian
8. inglenook

9. petrichor
10. lilt

11. arcadian
12. vintage

13. Jenny what else but my idol Jane Austen's nickname :-)


Share your Thursday Thirteen list with Megan and Janet.

Comments

Anonymous said…
And you don't play Quilly's Three Word Thursday! LOL. You should pads these on to her :)
Hazel said…
Quilly's Three Word Thursday is for experts, Thom. I don't have to find a dictionary for a pianoforte lol!
Heather said…
Ah, I do love a good vocab word. I think denouement is among my favorites. Lascivious is another good one.

My post
Hazel said…
wow lascivious! lol
Shelley Munro said…
Inglenook is an interesting word. :)
Hazel said…
I think so too :)
Mia Celeste said…
Grin. What fun! Lots of good words.
Unknown said…
Here I go searching out the meanings of some of these 'new to me' words. Love word lists. Happy T13!
Anonymous said…
Palimpsest is new to me. I like the concept, the way the old holds out in face of the new.
Hazel said…
Brenda, I had fun doing this list too

Adelle, so do I. I should done word lists sooner

Alice, it is to me too. And I like it as something of a reminder of the past
colleen said…
I have always disliked the word Bucolic and thought it doesn't sound like what it means.

I just now got lost in the world of Palimpsest. That was fun.
Hazel said…
colleen, I think of colic and babies when I read bucolic :D I'm glad you had fun with palimpsest.
CountryDew said…
I must say bucolic is not one of my favorite words! This is an interesting idea for a TT and a great word list. Some of those I do like a lot!
Anya said…
I do not understand this post :(
I think its my age ........ LOL
:(
That is a very interesting list.
soleil said…
denouement is so fun to say. but so is accoutrement. :)
i also like the words surreptitious, copacetic and covet.
I am such a word nerd.
Denouement is lovely.
Hazel said…
Thanks, countrydew

Anya, it's perfectly ok :)

Melissa, thanks

jehara, thanks for copacetic. it's new to me

Julia, yes it is :)
cynosure slips on my tongue and hence love it!

Ranting n Panting

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...