Skip to main content

Mommy Moments: Grandparents Bonding

Cj met my parents the first time on webcam. I was happy to witness the look on their faces. They were first time grandparents. It was 2004. I could not go home because I was in the middle of gradschool. The plan was that my parents were coming to Bangkok for Cj's first birthday in May the next year. I was looking forward to our meeting. Then in January 2005 my father had a massive coronary. I had to change plans.
Things happened so drastically I didn't know what hit me. With my divorce raging, the pain of losing a father and the pressures of gradschool, I found myself running back home with my son. I've never appreciated my mother more than that time I had no one to turn to. I took this picture of them at Holy Garden Matutum Memorial Park months after the burial. I call this moment Cj's spiritual bonding with his grandpa.
Time to pray: this is Cj's church class. I made it a point that he was introduced to the faith of his elders while in the Philippines. Under the circumstances, Mama Lola is the best person to oversee just that.
And this was taken at a roadside cafe with Cj's paternal Khun Ya (grandma). She lost her husband to leukemia many years ago. Nowadays, we just show Cj photos of both his grandfathers.

Note: I have to edit my ex-FIL's cause of death. This morning I wrote car accident. Tonite I remembered it was leukemia. It was ex-MIL who figured in a car accident a month after the funeral. Sorry for the mix-up.

Comments

Willa said…
hay...the agony of living away from home..you never know what awaits you whenever the phone ring unexpectedly.
Chris said…
its sad that CJ didnt get to meet his grandpa... but at least grandma is still there.. thanks for sharing!
Sarah said…
Wow, that's great, though I felt bad about your situation. Are u still in Bangkok?
What do u do? Are you teaching there?
are u married to a khun Thai? sorry I have a lot of questions.
We're here in the south of Thailand, hope we can continually connect.

Here's my link:
http://sarahg26.blogspot.com/2009/05/mommy-moments-9.html
MoM from Manila said…
Grandma's are really angels on training!

my share:
http://momfrommanila.blogspot.com/2009/05/mommy-moments-gran
Meikah said…
You're a strong woman Haze. Kudos to you! These are lovely grandma photos, thanks for sharing them and your story. :)
Yami said…
Thanks for sharing your story with us. :)
Chubskulit Rose said…
whoa what a rocky road you took but Im sure your Papa is happy wherever he is now.. Your mom look so happy in this Pic..
Anya said…
What a lovely story,
and nice family shots :))

( Do not laugh,
I wear now a white t'shirt with Garfield on it...LOL
Is not age-related) ;)

Have a GREAT weekend :)
Karen said…
thanks for sharing! happy Mommy Moments
JonaBQ said…
there will really be times when we will look for the caring of our dear mother.

it's good your son and you still have a grandmother and a mother with you.

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...