Skip to main content

Fruit Season

After several weekends of non-stop out-of-town trips and sightseeings, I finally stayed put in Bangkok this weekend. I have used up my holidays for April and May, and it's time to get back to normal routine. Wet season begins. With it come things yummy: markets are abundant with fruits, and they are very cheap. Mangosteens are sold for 20 baht a kilo, gala apples 5 baht each, mangoes for 25 baht a kilo, papaya for 10 baht a kilo and Monthong durian for 40 baht a kilo.


Aung San Suu Kyi was on my mind when I ate mangoes this week. It's not her predicament on the news these days; nor that framed picture resting askew on the wall, which I remember I bought in Myanmar. I am reminded of an article I read around the time before her husband died. It mentions that she likes Thai mangoes, this variety:
The article also describes something I have never read anywhere else and at any time - a rare moment in which the nobel laureate burst into tears when her strictly monitored, very limited phone conversation with Michael Aris oceans away, was cut midway. Ok that sounds rather melancholic. These Thai mangoes though are divinely sweet. Whether you're in Asia, Europe or the US, pro-democracy or whatever, chances are, you will love Thai mangoes.

Have a great week, everyone!

Comments

Kero said…
oh those mangoes look really juicy! yum yum! Happy Sunny Sunday to you. my WS entry is here http://kcelebration.blogspot.com/search/label/weekend%20snapshot
Ebie said…
I missed mangosteens and I have not eaten these in ages. Maybe we have some frozen ones sold here. Those mangoes are huge, gusto nako paresan ug puto, yummy!
nice catch .... yummy!!! missing it now, too hard to find yellow mango fruit in Europe.... mine's up too hope you can drop by.. Happy WS!
cheesecakepoi said…
Wow, I love mangoes. My snapshot is up too and it's here.
leslie said…
wow, have to go back to thailand one of these days. i love fruits, esp atis.

Thanks for visitng my blog. =)
Arlene said…
Kalami zel! Id love to taste that durian. hehehe but i think nothing beats Pinoy durian ba. :D I find the durian's fragrance there so mild. ang sa pinas maka lipong but lami. :D
Chubskulit Rose said…
Im drooling to that mangoes wahhhhhh!
john said…
Yum, yum, yum!
ellen said…
Have a nice weekend! Mine is up! Hope to hear from you soon!
Unknown said…
wow, the prices are incredibly cheap compared to Manila. and the story about Aung San Suu Kyi is sad. her life is an obstacle course!
Dora said…
Think now is the mango season right? I see many mangoes in markets.
Anya said…
Beautiful shots,
and it lokks yummieeeeee.....
I love mango's :))
EJ said…
Thanks for the visit Ms. hazel!
Carver said…
The mangoes look delicious. Good shots of them.
Wow Mangoes Are So Delicious.Love The Way You Have Presented Them.

Also Thanks For Comments On My Blog !! If You Want To Visit Rajasthan Then Do Visit My Website www.unseenrajasthan.com for Tour Packages And Destinations.

Would Love To See You On My Web Page.

Popular posts from this blog

Watch out for the urchin

Friends and I went island-hopping last year. My phone was changing indications of where we were several times. Names are difficult to read, much less remember. The main island where we hopped from is called Koh Chang or Elephant island. We went to five islets each taking about 15 minutes to reach. In a stop one of my friends encountered a sea urchin. They say a pee would cure the sting. I don't know if it's true. Another thing I heard about urchins is they could sense and would crawl towards human presence. Probably for more prickly attention? Although sometimes paradise has a price, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, the weather perfect and the breeze was just what our city-dwelling lungs needed. All is well. *** My World Tuesday is brought to you by Klaus and the My World Team Sandy , Wren , Fishing Guy , Sylvia

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Pretentious Diet

Our Weekend Memoirs: Dieting on Eggs Please scroll down for Sunday Stealing The chinese guy selling noodles in front of 7 Eleven also sells eggs. I wanted to buy some but he was busy with his customers and I couldn't wait. Back in front of the pc, a recent report that Margaret Thatcher's pre-election victory diet included 28 eggs a week had me reading more than I normally would big news. She is said to have told an interviewer that she had "no special dieting regime." Her pocket diary, which was released by the Margaret Thatcher Archive Trust seems to have revealed otherwise. But don't we all sometimes like to keep others wondering? The Iron Lady's husband though gives it to us straight and cool. When asked "who wears the pants in this house?" He replied, "I do. And I also iron them." This anecdote is exactly what I thought of while my southeast asian ass err... blood was quivering in the London cold as I stood on this famous street. Then M...