Skip to main content

The Herb Wagon

Whilst strolling the grounds of St Mary' s church in Scarborough, I was humming "parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme..." All I saw though was Anne Bronte's grave in the shadow of Scarborough Castle. Of course Scarborough Fair ended in 1788. Showing up in 2006 was rather late. I didn't get the T-shirt but I got the mug from which I sipped coffee yesterday in the faculty lounge. With Sherri Buck Baldwin's lovely painting on it, moccona has never tasted better.


Either you are like me - curious at what's on a painting or fond of herbs for whatever purpose, 'tis sweet of the manufacturer to have contents of the Herb Wagon written in gothic-like font around the mug: (I collect mugs)

1. Lavender, Angelica
2. Lemon Verbena, Ginger Mint
3. Tarragon, Bee Balm
4. Fennel, Lovage
5. Meadowsweet, Chervil
6. Star Anise, Artemisa
7. Marjoram, Chicory
8. Oregano, Sage, Thyme
9. Dill, Saffron, Bay Leaf
10. Sweet Basil, Coriander, Cilantro
11. Parsley, Chives, Garlic
12. Savory, Sweet Cicely, Rosemary
13. Yarrow, Catmint, Sweet Woodruff


Any favorite?

header by Samulli

Comments

Chubskulit Rose said…
It's been a while since I last participated to this meme hehehe, wala ng time ang lola. Kumusta ka dyan lovely lady?
Janet said…
I collect mugs, too...love the lavender!
Anonymous said…
It's like a matching game. A goes with 1 and B with 7...

My TT is at http://www.AliceAudrey.com
Anonymous said…
I haven't heard of 1/2 of those LOL.
Hazel said…
oi sis, ako rin halos wala na. blog ako hating gabi or madaling araw when my alaga is snoring :)

Janet, nice to know another mug collector. I love lavender too

Alice, that rather adds 'cheeriness' to my list :)

Thom, neither have I. All the while I thought Angelica was a girl's name, and now it's an herb...? lol!
Grandma said…
We use a lot of spices in our meals and most of those in your list have been used in them. Fresh cilantro is one of my favorites. What a pretty picture for the mug.
Hootin Anni said…
Mmmmmmmmm, dill weed. I love the aroma. And it brings back fond memories of my youth when my mother would slave over a hot stove, canning dill pickles.

My Thursday 13 is posted: HERE [scroll below my Thursday Thunks to view if you decide to pay me a visit! I'd love your company!!]

Have a great day!!
Mia Celeste said…
Very cool. I'm a tea drinker too!
colleen said…
I breathe lavender oil to calm my emotions and to help me sleep. It works!
I am Harriet said…
Great list of herbs. Some of my favorites were mentioned.

Have a great Thursday!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2010/01/is-there-anything-growing-in-your.html
I started to collect mugs, then realized I wasn't using them and all they were doing was collecting dust, so... no more mugs.
Anya said…
Interesting meme
funny to read :-)

Enjoy your day
(@^.^@)

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...