Skip to main content

Friday's Fave Five: Multitasking


Anything that makes me look forward to things positive, I'm in. Today I join Friday's Fave Five, a meme hosted by Susanne of Living to Tell the Story. Since positivity is exactly what I'm trying to uphold in my life, here I am. When I reviewed my week for anything nice that happened or I thought was positive, I found out I have more than five! The count-your-blessing concept always works. Here's the summary:

1.Birthdays. June 15th was my mother's birthday, and we got to chat on the phone. Last night while getting ready for bed I opened my porch to let some fresh air in and heard chatter from the corner store opposite my apartment building. The chatter was in Thai, I didn't understand a thing. Then suddenly they all chorused "happy birthday to you!..." What caught my attention was that all of them sang off-key. Not a single voice was singing a correct tune. It was almost midnight, the neighborhood had gone quiet, but these birthday revellers although noisy, sounded very happy you can't be annoyed at them. Their happiness was contageous.

2. Spafford story. I have always been moved by the story behind It is Well with my Soul, but the ocean detail has never been cleared in my mind. I finally reviewed it on youtube this week and was happy to read the part I missed years ago.

3. Multitasking. When someone found out I was blogging, chatting, having dinner, and listening to music at the same time, his reaction was to leave the conversation. I said, "it's okay, I can multitask." The reply was "smart women." I wasn't really exerting that much effort on such kind of multitasking, but that was sweet of him. Later I hopped around looking for international news and read about President Obama issuing an excuse letter for a schoolgirl who missed her class. While watching the clip, I noticed that the gorgeous leader of the free world wrote the note while listening to the girl's father present something. Now that's some cool multitasking.



4. Durian icecream and macadamia choc cheese cake: my weekend indulgence, but I had it last night :-)


5. Dogs. Mine is having an indefinite vacation with my mother back home, and I was missing him terribly this week. This video cheered me up.

Comments

Lisa notes... said…
I've never heard "Happy Birthday" in Thai. :-) How fun!

Multi-tasking--I'm glad I'm a woman so I can do it, too. ha.

Thanks for sharing your week.
Pamela said…
Great list! I'll bet hearing "Happy Birthday" in a variety of off-key Thai-accented voices was very unusual!

Where did you visit in England? My Mum's family is from the Manchester area so we always spent a lot of time there but I think my favorite trip was the Christmas we spent in the Yorkshire Dales - in a charming little village called Kettlewell.

Have a great weekend.
Jerralea said…
I'd never heard Happy Birthday in Thai either.

I have always loved the story behind "It is Well."

Great list of Thankfulness!
ellen b. said…
Hi Hazel!
Welcome to FFF. It is such a good exercise. I enjoyed reading your list for the week. Have a wonderful weekend...
Willow said…
Welcome to FFF, Hazel. I've never heard Happy Birthday in Thai, although I have heard it in Indonesian because I used to live there. Durian ice cream! Yum! It's the only way I like durian, though.

Have a great weekend!
Susanne said…
We'll give the comment another shot! ;v)

That was a sweet thing for the president to do.

I can definitely sing Happy Birthday off key no problem, but I cannot do it in Thai, that's for sure. The cheesecake is looking yummy!

Thanks for joining in!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...