Skip to main content

Weekend Snapshot: Something Fishy

If you want something 'fishy,' Thailand's Namtophliu National Park in Chantaburi is the place to be. The stream is thickly populated with catfish. I can't believe how tame they are. They sense it when people approach, they come near where they know they are going to be admired, fed, or photographed:

They're not afraid of humans. No wonder my friend wants to pet them :-)
~ Crowd near the waterfall - feeding, swimming, chatting, some were just watching the activity, and I was wondering how to wade in without stepping on them because they swish through people's feet freely:
~ Friends throwing them a string beans party:
~ Delicate pink - I saw this while hiking deeper into the forest. It's growing on fissures between the rocks. Does anyone know the name of this flower?
~ A moss-covered chedi made from laterite, built to commemorate King Rama and Queen Sunantha's visit to the park in 1876. Queen Sunantha drowned when the royal boat capsized in the Chao Phrya river. A Wikipedia entry describes the drowning, "despite the presence of many onlookers, they were forbidden on pain of death to touch the queen - not even to save her life." There is a sign near this chedi that says do not stand near if you are not properly dressed. We took this shot using a Nokia phone from a distance:



This is one of the houses available for rent if you want to stay the night:

Needless to say we had so much fun. I honestly didn't want to go back to Bangkok right away. Next time I want to have a quiet weekend, breathe fresh air, or frolic with the fish again, I know where to go. Have a great week, everyone!

Comments

Ebie said…
What a lovely place to spend the weekend!
Willa said…
so, pwede ba silang hulihin at iihaw? :D , kidding aside, paano sila naging malapit sa tao?
Hazel said…
To Ebie, thanks for the visit. I'm going to your post in awhile.

To Willa, nope, hindi pwede hulihin and ihawin. Guards are everywhere hahah! Bags are also checked at the entrance for anything that might be harmful to them. Siguro sa katagalan na palaging pinapakain sila ng mga tao, nakaka-aliw kasi na lumalapit sa yo e, super sanay na sila.
khitara said…
Saya! Daming isda.. Hehe!
..xia,, said…
wow!a string beans party! the fishes had a fun party and so are the people around them. Cool photos!
Mirage said…
I'd bring a timba and catch as much as I can! hihi. Ayy bawal pala haha...buti walang tendency mangagat ano... otherwise hindi ako lulusong hehe. Have a nice week!
SandyCarlson said…
Interesting. That's an amazing story about the queen. I wonder what her thoughts were in that moment. Beautiful scenery.
Carver said…
That looks like a wonderful time. Amazing how free the fish are around the people. This was an interesting post and great shots.
Dora said…
Wa! So many fishes. So crowded.
Hazel said…
To Khitara, korek. talagang masaya :-)

To Xia, we brought them a huge bundle of string beans which i thought was too much. turned out it wasn't even enough. they kept coming back. matatakaw :-)

To Mirage, i got a nip from one of them which sent me squirting out of the water. i knew it was because they were feeding near my feet so napagkamalang sting bean ang paa ko hahaha...but i went back and sat on a rock in the middle of the water and that's where i had soooooo much fun with them.
Hazel said…
To SandyCarlson, i'm hypothesizing such a trajedy must have prompted the monarchy to review their laws on proximity allowed between royals and commoners. I read King Rama was grief-stricken. He built a pyramid as memorial to the queen. The pyramid is inside this park too.

To Carver, I was all fun and amazement during this weekend :-)

To Dora, it was a long weekend, the following Monday was a holiday, thus the crowd.
Lynn said…
Those fishes, they're vain, huh. :D
SASSY MOM said…
I also wondered the same. Panong di mo matatapakan yun. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your weekend.

Hope you can visit my WS here.
Hazel said…
To Lynn, you bet!

To Sassy Mom, they may be pampered but they do know how to give way for really curious human feet. yon nga lang mahirap lumakad sa tubig na nakabuntot sila :-)
Arlene said…
that's a great week-end activity, Zel! I thought the fish can be ordered to be cooked. :)

Happy Monday!
Black Cat said…
Thank you so much for the award. I feel so honoured!

I loved seeing more photos of the park and the fish. A friend had fish in a pond in her garden and one of them was a very tame catfish who would eat out of your hand. Awesome!

How sad about Queen Sunantha.
cheery said…
mareng blogger, great to read about our enchanting chantaburi adventure--you tell a story just like it happened, so much fun!
i'm gonna tell the whole gang (the chanta crowd)to visit this site soon, so they too can reminisce that terrific weekend amidst nature.
Hazel said…
To Arlene, now I'm beginning to think I should have titled this post "For Your Eyes Only :-)
Hazel said…
To Black Cat, it's my second time to hear of a tame catfish. maybe they really are the kind that are easily domesticated.

yeah, the queen - sentimental, her story was.

I'm honored and glad that you accepted the award. Thank you.
Hazel said…
To Cheery, let's go back there one of these days, mareng :-)
cpsanti said…
love love eating catfish, but i wouldn't want to be in a pool full of them ;-) nice pics though
Beth said…
wow, i love to pet them too! pero dun lang sa area na yana ha? I don't want them sa house, parang di ko yata kaya! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...