Skip to main content

Weekend Snapshot: Travel Fest in Pattaya

When my sightseeing buddies (former college roommate and son) and I visited Pattaya two weekends ago, we didn't know there was something else going on besides it's reputation as Sin City.

TAT or Tourism Authority of Thailand launched the 5 Region Thai Travel Fest. The fest is held in a major city of each region and the venue for May 1st to 3rd was coincidentally Pattaya where we were. It was a relief to witness something other than whore-filled bars that line the long street opposite the beachfront. This travel fest was organized in an effort to stimulate the economy by trying to attract tourist to experience the country. The five regions show the best of what they got.

Fruit carvings: a watermelon-turned-rose

Thai ladies at work

Thai musicians - can anyone help me name these instruments?

It's cooking.... Many of you may be aware that Thailand is famous for its Thai silk. See the silk threads ascending from the silk worms.

'Sunken treasures' at the Underwater World, one of Asia's largest acquariums

The Sanctuary of Truth, a thai billionnaire's eccentricity still in the works after more than two decades

My son is blowing candles on his 5th cake towards the end of May. I gave him his birthday present in Pattaya: a submarine ride. Vimantaitalay took us admiring the wonders of the deep. These are some of the fish we saw through the submarine window. (Note: Prices shown on the link have increased)

An accompanying diver shows us a couple of cute undersea residents. This is just a glimpse of our sightseeing galore. Come to Thailand and enjoy the place yourself. Happy weekend, everyone!

Comments

Willa said…
the silk worm, really wow! it's truly amazing!!!
Genefaith said…
wow ganda!...curious ako sa watermelon carved like a rose, ang galing!..i looked the price...he..he...hope to visit this city for sightseeing...
SandyCarlson said…
That's an extraordinary place. Thanks for showing me around.
Dora said…
Can i have that "rose"? :P
Karen said…
Thanks for sharing these pics!
Indrani said…
Wide range of shots. I enjoyed seeing these.
Ebie said…
The Thai people are experts in food carving. I see them in Food Shows. The silk worm is very intriguing.
Your photos tell everybody had fun! Have a nice week.
Marites said…
i really find the food carvings quite impressive and intricate. i would love to try the submarine ride:D btw, the Sanctuary of Truth is a temple? it looks unique.

My WS is here
kaka said…
the jew dropped at the sight of those worms... but the pictures are awesome! parang nakapag travel na din ako sa thailand :)

one of the instruments is called kulintang, if im not mistaken :)
Khitara said…
Love the dolphins and the silk worm photos. Cool underwater scenes as well!
Arlene said…
Great bday and mother's day celebration, Zel!

Interesting and lovely shots! Love the top one best. :)
Carver said…
I enjoyed this sequence so much. I would love to walk around there and see the performers, artists, crafts and cooking.
Anonymous said…
how much po yung submarine ride? thanks! will be there in august e, really like to try the submarine ride...
Hazel said…
Hi Anonymous, the submarine ride costs 2,000 baht for 40 minutes.

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...