Skip to main content

A Deal

View more FFF participants at Living to Tell the Story


My week went really fast. It's probably because of the nature of things happening.

1. Unexpected break. A quick storm on Wednesday cut off the power for an hour. Everything at work was paralyzed. The academic dean had to cancel classes in the afternoon. Students cheered. But they didn't know the biggest cheer rose out from the faculty offices :-)

2. Discoveries thru a bus window. I made use of the unexpected break by taking a bus ride to the heart of Bangkok. I haven't observed things along Sukhumvit road for a few years. There's a garden and an Arts and Culture Center to visit for free.

3. MP3. When work is not that serious, one of my best friends in the office is a pair of music-filled earphones. Sometimes playing songs, especially when they're your choice, makes work so much smoother and sets the mood well throughout the day.

4. Going solo to the movies. I actually rewatched Harry Potter last Sunday. This time I was alone, not babysitting a hyperactive 5-year old. It was relaxing.

And I got myself some highlight:

5. A deal. I mentioned somewhere among previous posts that I was making a decision to accept a university instructorship or not. I decided not to. It was a NO even after the vice president asked me to drop by his office. He fired off negotiating tactics as soon as I sat down and through it an idea suddenly sprung -

I responded, "Ok, I will take up the post if you write the British Embassy..."

He seemed stumped and it was my turn to negotiate.

"What are you doing in England this time?" he demanded.

I flashed him a (sort of wicked) smile, "no money involved... write the embassy, Boss and you got yourself a new instructor."

He didn't ask what did I want him to write about. Without much ado he said, "alright, I will."

Comments

annies home said…
some of the greatest travel sights I have seen have been through the bus window
ellen b said…
Way to go with your negotiations!! I'm glad you got away for a enjoyable time seeing the newest "Harry" movie. I haven't been able to see it yet but will soon. Glad you got a break from work!
Anya said…
Did you like the movie from
Harry Potter ??
Susanne said…
I have never been to a movie at the theatre by myself but now that you mention it, it seems like a really nice escape. I might have to give it a try.

I like taking the bus once in awhile, just to be able to look out the windows and really see the scenery. When I'm driving I'm so focused on driving and the traffic that a lot of lovely stuff whizzes right by me.
nikkipolani said…
I agree about the help an MP3 player can be when work doesn't require concentration. And congrats on your deal with the VP :-)
Lisa notes... said…
Unexpected breaks ARE nice. And I LOVE my MP3 player--it's "my friend" in the middle of the night when I can't sleep and don't want to read. I listen to podcasts and sermons and books on tape, etc.

Have a great week.
Willow said…
Great Fave Five! I agree that bus riding opens up a whole new level of society and the city to you.
So you really didn't want the lecturing position, huh? :)
Carleen said…
Good for you and your negotiating talents. I'd be so enthralled with the idea of teaching in the UK that any hope of negotiating anything would immediately be lost as soon as I heard the location, LOL. :)
mom2triplets04 said…
When I had no kids it was great going to the movies alone. One day I will do that again when the kids are older. Great week
Anonymous said…
I loved your negotiating tactics. Excellent. Excellent FFF have a good one :) Aloha
Anonymous said…
Finally now your showing up in my reader LOL Dang google :)
Jientje said…
There is nothing like an unexpected break from work, or good music while you work. I enjoy taking the bus too. It takes me to Antwerp much faster than I could get there by car, and you get to see a lot more! Have a great week!

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...