Skip to main content

(Forensic Psych isn't) Silence of the Lambs



Suspense thrillers to me are scarier than horror. I watch horror almost as often as I watch comedies. But seldom do I watch suspense thrillers. The last one I endured was the Sixth Sense, which turned me off the genre indefinitely. Not that I'm not drawn to the skill of actors, screenwriters and directors; it's one of the reasons I watch in the first place. I just didn't want to traumatize myself more than I already am from all the corny neuroticism around me every day :D. My Sixth Sense experience was like being terrified by The Exorcist, which reeks of pure evil all throughout. Suspense thrillers have this kind of nastiness that could bore through your soul.

For this week's suspense thriller theme at Tuesday Couch Potatoes, I chose Silence of the Lambs as my entry. I could not sleep well for a week after reading the book, and I tried to forget the film right after watching it to get on with life more mental stress-free. Like the Sixth Sense it has references to psychology, as most others on the Couples' Time Movies list, of which The Machurian Candidate is no. 1. Other titles in the list that I would like to watch (note to self, maybe suggestions to you) when I get the chance are Rebecca, Signs, Laura and Fatal Attraction (done watching FA but it's been so long ago I've forgotten the details).

So back to Silence of the Lambs, it is a psychological crime thriller in which FBI candidate Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) is put on the trail of unknown serial killer called Buffalo Bill with an unusual fixation for murdering large size young women and carving their skin in patterns. To create a psychological profile of this killer, Starling must consult with psychopathic psychiatrist and convict serial killer Dr "Hannibal The Cannibal" Lecter. Read more or view the trailer:


TCP theme for this week appeals to me a great deal for some personal reason - I am seriously considering a career shift to psychology and since much of suspense thriller films are based on psychological issues, these films, especially the ones I mentioned I wanted to watch later, are good, relevant entertainment for someone like me. I might just be dreaming or I must be crazy to think that profiling criminals for real is extremely attractive and exciting (to me at least). Well, like they say, if you got nothing much to do, chances are you end up fancying the fantastic :-)

Thank you, Kikamz once again for hosting this meme. This week's theme coincided with the very thing that keeps me up til midnight - researching study options in psychology. The films are purely entertainment though. Heroes on the scientific bit are far less 'psychically linked with killers'. As an internet text describes it in one line - Forensic Psychology is not Silence of the Lambs. But hey, watch the film if you haven't . You'll bite your nails *wink*

Comments

Anonymous said…
I loved this movie with a passion.
Anya said…
On of my favorites
I have read the book
and see the movie :)))))
I love thriller movies ^__^
Chubskulit Rose said…
I love the movie genre but nangangatog ang tuhod ko sa takot when im watching lol.. This one is pretty good but I haven't seen it yet..

The Texas ChainSaw Massacre is my entry..

Marveling Memories
Etcetera Etcetera
Spice up your LIFE!
Obstacles & Glories
Sailing through Life
Mys said…
this one is really really one of the great psychological thrillers. great pick. anthony hopkins and jodi foster were great in this one.
darly said…
such a classic movie, one of my favorites of all time.

Mine is up too.
kamz said…
this is a very good psycho thriller movie mommy. this is one of my faves but i haven't watched the whole hannibal lectern saga yet. and i have yet to read the books!

a great choice for psycho-thriller. thanks for joining mommy hazel! hope you can pursue Psychology. till next week!
nuts said…
my daughter have watched this movie. have watched too,pero diko natapos.
mine is up now, my first entry..
Chris said…
when i was about to enter college, psychology was my first choice..though i didnt get accepted :(

anyway, this movie is a good choice. ive seen it only once and dare not watch it again!
shydub said…
I have seen this one twice i think,. its a good movie.

here is minehttp://www.sheaky.com/2009/09/tcp4-rogue.html
Lulu said…
I love Hannibal Lecter.. I have seen all but one ( the early one)

I love the line... Hello Clarice in a chilling voice

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...