Pages

Thursday, 8 October 2009

Thai Smiles

It's either just me or some collective observation among long-staying foreigners that there really aren't enough noticeable smiles in both rural or urban areas for Thailand to be advertised as the Land of Smiles. A few reads here and there and I discovered that Thais regard smile as an appropriate reaction to almost any situation.

A PhD student at Bangkok University wrote an entire dissertation on Thai smiles. Interested observers were welcome during the defense. I kinda regretted being unable to find out how the exploration went. At my own thesis defense (not about smiles though), a Thai government representative smiled a certain smile over a brief conference with my advisors about addressing RQs and hypotheses on chapter 1. I knew it to be "don't-insist-or-your-advisee-is-in-trouble" smile. That smile is just one among several kinds of smiles that Thais use. Here are 13 others:

(yim - thai word for smile)

1. Yim tang namtah - used when very happy; eg. I've-won-the-jackpot smile


2. Yim cheun chom - the smile used when impressed with or when one admires someone


3. Yim sao - the smile used when one is sad (this is probably what the song meant - smile though your heart is aching)


4. Yim cheut cheuan - the smile a winner gives to a losing opponent or rival


5. Yim tak tan - the I'm right-and-you're-wrong smile


6. Yim mee lai nai - the smile the blankets bad intentions


7. Feun yim - the forced smile


8. Yim tak tai- the polite smile used for strangers or acquaintances


9. Yim yor - the mocking smile; used to taunt or laugh at someone


10. Yim soo - things-are-so-bad-I-better-smile smile


11. Yim mai ohk - when you want to smile but can't, or the smile won't come out


12. Yim haeng - the dry smile for situations like "is it today? sorry, I forgot please don't be mad at me"


13. Yim ya-ya - the smile used to apologize or to diffuse an embarrassing, tense moment

~ header from Samulli / click here for more T13 ~

12 comments:

Thom said...

Well I'm yimming all the way through this post. Great 13 my friend. Thanks for some new knowledge. :)

Tracie said...

I'm using smile #2 right now. Interesting list....I enjoyed it.

Happy TT!

Chris said...

very interesting :)

Anya said...

Sooooooooo
many smile's today
^___^

Very interesting
yim - thai :)

Janet said...

so many ways to smile!

I am Harriet said...

:) List!! Loved it Hazel!

Happy Thursday!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/10/if-you-could-be-any-person-living-or.html

Americanising Desi said...

i couldnt help yim through the entire thing.
absolute treat :)

13 annoyances after 27

Alice Audrey said...

I've used a lot of these smiles, I just didn't have a word for them.

genejosh said...

this is interesting sis..ang dami palang klase ng yim dito sa Thailand....

Pacey said...

I was trying to figure out and trying it myself as I read each smile description and was imagining the smiley icons over at Yahoo! Thais got a lot of smiles and I do hope you get the kind smile from each of them, hahahah...but you know I do like the smiley from yahoo, the smug one. Hahahah...pang kuntrabida ug nawng bah. Naa diay ko bago blog kay naguba tong ako photoblog uy.

Brenda ND said...

Wow, what a lot of different grins. I've seen most, but never put a name to them.

anti-wrinkle injection therapy said...

Interesting list....I enjoyed it. thanks for it.