Skip to main content

The Maya

It has been raining cats and dogs almost all week. I mentioned to the ex how boring it was to be drenched everytime I go to his house to fetch Cj during weekends. He offered me his other car. I promptly refused. When it poured again and I got soaked again, I realized that sometimes swallowing your pride is better than pneumonia. Ok, I should be thankful it's just rain and not landslide. I could hear the lapping of water underneath the taxi yesterday, but to think that our neighbors were subjected to the quaking of the earth recently, there are really lots to feel blessed for, like:

1. Being on (yes, paid) leave. They say if you have a roof above your head and a job, you are luckier than millions of people. I am grateful for such a blessing and

2. forgetting the cares of work for five days. What bliss!

3. Time with Cj. It's the best thing about my leave or any free days I have. He gets a break from his usual schooldays companion, his nanny, and I get to do my duties as a mom. I took him shopping for our five-day holiday provision and let him decide what to eat, making sure we were in the healthy food section at the same time. He had no choice actually but to pick veggies and fruits

4. Our rainbow diet. A Reader's Digest health article suggests a way of knowing your diet is nutritionally complete is to check that your food has all the colors in it. During yesterday's shopping we loaded the cart with kidney beans, beef, tomatoes, capsicum (red); papaya, eggs, ginger, squash (yellow); okra, mango, apple, spinach, bokchoy, lettuce (green); rice, shitake (brown); eggplant, onions (purple); carrot (orange) oats, fish (white), pepper (black). It's difficult to keep up with this kind of diet in the midst of work. So I took advantage of the holiday. I didn't see salmon. It would have been nice for pink.

5. The maya. Construction noise from the rising condo opposite our street is gone. Peace and quiet came with a treat: a chirping maya. I was netsurfing when I heard it. It perched on the AC machine for a few seconds and flew away. I placed a plate of jasmine rice and a saucer of mineral water on the porch. While waiting for it to come back I walked down 7 Eleven to buy it a pack of roasted pumpkin seeds. If it does, I'm giving it a name :-)

~ Visit Susanne of Living to Tell the Story for more faves ~

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nothing better than paid leave and time with CJ. That diet sounds like a good one. I'm not much for sticking with the program though. Glad the construction is done. Have a great Friday :)
Alison said…
It is so true...these days everyone is trying to cut back here and there (us included). We are truly thankful that my hubby has a job and we have a roof over our heads.

I've never heard of the rainbow diet before. Next shopping trip, I'm going to have to try to be sure to buy all the colors!

Great Five!
Willow said…
Yes, we can all be thankful for food, shelter, and water, and the resources to purchase them.

What a wonderful week with CJ. I'm glad you had paid leave and quality time with him.

I'll check my shopping basket for a rainbow next time I shop!

Have a great weekend, with less rain and no mudslides.
annies home said…
nothing better than paid leave
Lisa notes... said…
Glad you've had some time off. Yes, a wonderful blessing. Your rainbow diet sounds so healthy and diverse.
Melli said…
Sounds like a wonderful week in the making! Mmmmm... maybe some grapefruit for pink??? (of course, if that fails you can have strawberry CAKE! LOL!) Oh yea... we were trying to stay healthy... :)
RA said…
Lucky you :)! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. The rainbow diet is very interesting. Have a great week ahead
Barbara H. said…
Sounds like a great week, especially time off and time with CJ doing Mom stuff. The visit from the maya sounds neat -- hope it comes back.
Brenda said…
The diet sounds like a great idea! How wonderful to find a bird like that! I hope it comes back!
Susanne said…
My mouth is watering with your rainbow colored foods. Yummy.

Time off to be a momma is the best. Enjoy it to the max!

Popular posts from this blog

The Hunchback of Abella

A Duet When I was about 8 years old, I sang Something's Happened to Daddy in church. My father was not a church-goer so the guy I sang with was my mother's friend's husband. Papa keeps coming to my mind these days. January is the month he was felled by a massive coronary. Next week on the 14th is the anniversary of his death. The only times he ever set foot in church were during weddings and funerals of family and friends. I remember him being present in church eagerly when I was a flower girl at an aunt's wedding. Finally he entered church one more time. At his own funeral. I made sure church was the very place he went to before the cemetery. I only wished he was the one I sang with. Amy hosts head over to Signs, Miracles and Wonders for more music or to join ************************************ Guns n' Roses and the Hunchback of Abella My childhood was what can most likely be called normal. There was a balance of happy and sad memories. Today's

Sense and Sensibility: 200th anniversary

In 1811 Thomas Egerton of Whitehall, London published Sense and Sensibility . Quick math shows it has been two centuries since Jane Austen became a full-fledged author. Quite an anniversary, indeed. A celebration, I declare . Blogs regarding the publication anniversary of this romance novel picture Jane Austen 's engagements whilst making the final touches of her manuscript from Sloane Street. In letters to her sister Cassandra, Jane gave accounts of her shopping for muslin, the party that their brother Henry and SIL Eliza gave; mentioned several acquaintances, and referred to her book as S and S . As a fan I wonder which between sense and sensibility did JA deem more important since she portrayed both attributes equally well. I'm obliged to enthuse over my S & S reading experience. Alas, I only managed fourteen chapters before getting sidetracked by another novel, the very first that JA wrote. I will resume and complete my affair with the celebrant before 2011 end

Thirteen 13-word Quotes

1. I may be wrong , but I have never found deserting friends conciliates enemies. Margot Asquith , British Political Hostess (1864-1945) 2. Man's love is of man's life a thing apart; Girls aren't like that Kingsley Amis , English novelist and poet (1922-1995) "A Book Idyll" ~ see possible origin, also a 13- word quote: M an's love is of man's life a thing apart, 'Tis woman's whole existence Lord Byron (1788-1824) 3. An autobiography is an obituary in serial form with the last instalment missing. Quentin Crisp , English writer The Naked Civil Servant (1968) 4. Happy the hare at morning for she cannot read the hunter's waking thoughts. W.H. Auden , English poet (1907-73) Dog Beneath the Skin 5. Kissenger brought peace to Vietnam the same way Napoleon brought peace to Europe. (by losing) Joseph Heller, American novelist (1923- ) 6. Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give; Gas smells awful; You might as well live. Dorothy Parker ,