Skip to main content

We Need Him Through it All

"I did not un­der­stand at first why this hymn had touched the great throb­bing heart of hu­man­i­ty. It was not un­til long af­ter, when the sha­dow fell over my way, the sha­dow of a great loss, that I un­der­stood some­thing of the com­fort­ing pow­er in the words which I had been per­mit­ted to give out to others in my hour of sweet se­ren­i­ty and peace."

- Annie Hawks on her composition I Need Thee Every Hour after the death of her husband

We need Him every hour indeed. I'm a bit surprised at myself for saying 'every hour.' I have been listening to and singing this song like forever but haven't really thought seriously of the every hour bit. I took it as just some poetic appeal to the song. But as Ketsana's rage became more clear to me on top of all the other global issues we are facing, every hour has taken on a new meaning.

It's great timing for Through it All to be included in this video. I find

"for if I never had a problem,
I wouldn't know that He could solve them
I wouldn't know what faith in God could do..."


a logic I accept. Here's to stronger faith and more acknowledgment of our need for a Saviour.

TSMSS is brought to you by Amy @ Signs, Miracles, and Wonders

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very touching and moving my friend. Excellent :) Aloha
Jewel said…
Yes, every hour. Wow, I never thought of it either. But every hour, the flood waters may raise.

Thanks for sharing this. It has always been one of my favorite songs, especially as sung by Selah!
Mary said…
Beautiful song with words that are true...we do need Him every hour. Selah does a beautiful job of touching our hearts with their voices, but just the words themselves are what make it move the spirit to faith, trust, humility and peace.

God bless,
Mary
Hazel said…
Thom, my favorite among the graphics is of that soldiers and civilians huddled together in prayer :-) Aloha!

Jewel and Mary, I'm new to Selah but I like her already :) She does a beautiful job on these great christian songs.
Anya said…
So true and very touching ;)
Special song today !!
:)
Debbie Petras said…
Oh how I've learned that I need Him every hour. I don't know what I'd do without Him. A wonderful song that I've sung many times but enjoy hearing again and again.
Love this old hymn and this arrangement by the group Selah!
Cathy said…
That is just beautiful, Sita. I love Selah. Thank God He is always with us. I also need Him every hour.
Marina@EBMR said…
Always moves me- I even love Through it all

Thanks for sharing

http://energizerbunnysmommyreports.blogspot.com/2009/10/then-sings-my-soul-saturday-103.html
Karen said…
I LOVE this version of this beautiful song! Actually posted about it a few weeks ago...just beautiful...and the background story makes it all the more a great blessing!
sleigh beds said…
It's awesome, very touching.

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...