Skip to main content

Culinary drama

Truth be told my five-year old is difficult to feed. While there's no problem with Mcdonald fries or KFC nuggets, he eats them like he has no schooling to do, I have to invent all sorts of drama to make him eat fruits and veggies.

So far there hasn't been any luck with these:

I present this brown beauty to him with blueberry jam and tell him this is Mr Farmer Handsome. Eat it and you'll have a pretty girlfriend. He goes as far as licking the jam

Now comes the hard part, even for me when I was his age. No luck either. Fine! But then he doesn't know how delicious are these veggies when they become pinakbet. A friend in Pinas sent me bagoong (salted fish) so I didn't mind that Cj shunned it and I had this all to myself with the precious bagoong

This is where I had luck. He was fooled by the beef on the side. He didn't even question my hardly average cooking

The fact that he ate, (well, he didn't see the apple slices I hid under the carrot-dotted mayonnaise) made our week a successful one in the dining department.

~ Visit Ebie and Arlene for more memoirs ~

Comments

Ebie said…
Well, same here with my Zee, her favorite vegie is squash, so what I do is shred the carrots and spinach and mix them in my spaghetti sauce, instant hit with lots of met balls, and she eats it!

Enjoy your pinakbet!
Arlene said…
Zel, i feel you are just in pinas with those green and violet veggies. hehehe Kaw jud ha mangingilad! Ur on the right track in trying to cook something that he can eat and does not feel na gulay diay to. But trust me, when he turns big and can read and understand well na, he will just eat anything. Dimple was there eh.

Happy weekend!
Al said…
That is so true, kids are very hard to convince to eat veggies and fruits. Like you said, even you when you're a kid. Just familiarize him with all these veggies and let him try it one by one. Time will come, he will get to know it and who knows even try it!
Anya said…
The cake looks very yummie ......
:-)

Have a wonderful sunday !!!!
EJ said…
I love those fresh veggies!

Our weekend is pretty Mellow, come and see!
Chubskulit Rose said…
Wowowow sis sarpap nyan ipakbet.. padalhan mo ko ha hehehe.. I joined the OWM yipppeee...

I am sharing my family's A walk in the Park
sleigh beds said…
I like to eat green veg.

Popular posts from this blog

Answers through pictures

Genebei invited me to do this picture tag. I must admit I had a lot of fun doing this. It took me a long time though to find Google images that are royalty free or NOT subject to copyright. I don't mean to be boring but I have to be wary of this thing. When I searched for photos I did type copyright free photos of .... (I claim no ownership of these images. I am not in any way selling or earning from these photos). Now for the instructions: "Use Google image to search the answers to the questions below. You must choose a picture from the first page of the results, and post it as your answer." 1. The age of my next birthday 2. Place I'd like to travel to 3. Favorite food 4. Favorite place 5. One of my nicknames 6. Favorite color 7. College major 8. Name of my love 9. Hobby 10. Bad habit 11. My wish list Have fun everyone! --------- I mean innocent fun :)

Whisper your wishes

Cross-cultural misunderstandings are rife among gestures of beckonings and farewells in different parts of our planet. For example, the American gesture for "come here" could mean "good-bye" to Italians. Axtell (1998) observes, "the way people beckon one another around the world can be almost as diverse as the way we greet and bid farewell to one another." Today we look into popular hand gestures to signal farewells and to beckon. 1. In the United States , common gesture for getting someone's attention, as when calling a waiter is to raise a hand about head high with the index finger raised (exactly the girl's hand gesture on Samulli's header ) If an American used that gesture to a waiter in Germany , saying "Water please," the German waiter would bring two glasses of water In Japan it is rude; pointing a finger at anyone is considered impolite 2. Italians and Greeks will often wave goodbye with the arm extended, palm up,...

Main course

Write From Karen For starters, I'd like some milk and whiskey.... A muscle towed my brow upward. "We are talking fine dining, people, and I want you all to go international," I announced to a group of Marketing majors last Sunday. These are what I fancied from their presentation: 1. Red mullet and skordalia (Greek) 2. Salmon sashimi with avocado (Japanese) 3. Braised halibut provencal (French) 4. Chargrilled prawns with lemongrass, tomatoes and coconut (Malaysian) 5. Lamb Steak with tequila and chilli (Mexican) 6. Veal roast with aromatic herbs and potatoes (Italian) 7. Roast mutton with red currant jelly (English) 8. Vermicilli with oyster mushrooms and king prawns (Vietnamese) 9. Somboon crab curry (Thai) 10. Chicken chow mien (Chinese American) 11. Barbecued lamb cutlets with mango and coriander salsa (African) 12. Bulalo (Filipino) 13. Paella vegetarian (Spanish) Never again will I go to work with an empty stomach . Megan and Janet host Thursday Thirteen . Click here ...